Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

What replacement snare wires do you use?

So after coming to terms with the fact that my new Rogers Luxor's original snare wires are just not going to work due to a couple of wires being bent, I (with some help from this forum) have decided to go and buy replacement wires and store to old ones if I ever decide to sell. So this raises a question "Which wires do you buy?" There seems to be 2 schools on the subject: Guys that love the high end wires, and guys that say "snares are snares!" I'd like to hear this forums take on the matter from both parties and I'm curious to hear what everyone's currently running on their vintage snares.

Posted on 13 years ago

For me it depends on the drum. I am looking for a 3point strainer and have bought pursound wires for it, but I'm currently using german snare wires until I find the 3point strainer. I think if I can get original snare wires for a vintage drum I would do that, but Pursound are pretty darn good and the German snare wires IMO are a step down. Price wise I mostly use the german snare wires. I stay away from generic wires altogether unless it's an inexpensive snare drum.

Posted on 13 years ago

Depends on the drum. Through trial & error, I've put different sets on different drums.

My 1950s Radio King works fantastic with Puresound Custom 16-strand wires and doesn't seem to like most other types. On more modern drums without such deep, wide snare beds, I've had good luck with cheap Pearl S-022 wires. I like the sound of cable snares for certain applications and have a Slingerland Sound King equipped with Grover Club Dark snares.

Posted on 13 years ago

It really does depend on the drum, head combination, snare beds, etc. I've had some high end drums that sounded great with inexpensive wires and lower priced drums that really needed Puresounds and the like. What I have found for a good all-around sound is the Puresound Blasters. While they are supposedly for louder playing, the truth of the matter is that the bent end plates create a more sensitive sound by pulling the wires into the head with less tension than standard flat end plates. Bottom line? It sure can cost allot of $$$ to find the right sound for a given snare drum. But, once your ideal sound is found, it will bring a smile to your face!

Posted on 13 years ago

So after reading everyone's take on this subject I settled on Puresound 16 Strand Customs. It was most similar to the original wires and I feel like if Rogers put 16 strand wires on at the factory then they cut a snare bed to accommodate those wires. It sounds great and is ready to start gigging immediately. Here she is all done and shiny!!Excited

1 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago

Can't go wrong with 16-strand Puresound Customs! Glad you like them!

Posted on 13 years ago

I have tried a lot of replacement wires and after a lot of money and time I decided I get the best response and sound from simple Pearl snappy replacement wires. I like them because the edges lay flat against the drum with two small, raised channels for the chords and the wires are light.

Some wires like Tama Starcast wires are really only for Tama snares with Tama snare beds- it seems to be the angle of the edges that just makes them a poor choice for other drums. Especially for small diameter snare drums like 10" and 12"- I go with the lightest wires possible- so I use Pearl. I like Grover wires but I have had one or two of those light wires snap off if I hit a really shocking accent (even playing jazz!). SO I say regardless of brand - go light weight.

For info. & live schedule:
www.EricWiegmanndrums.com
*Odery Drums Japan endorser/ representative
*Japan Distributor of Vruk DrumMaster pedals
*D'Addario Japan Evans/Promark/Puresound
*Amedia Cymbals Japan

It's the journey not the destination.
Posted on 13 years ago

Interesting stuff! I have always been sort of curious what those Grover wires sound like, but hearing that one of the wires snapped from regular playing worries me. Maybe it was a defective set, anyone else use these wires? I'm just intrigued every music store I go to out here only has the Puresounds or cheapo wires and those are the only options. I also hear that those Pearl snappy wires are good. I have a free floater with some Pearl wires and it sounds pretty good, but I think that has more to do with the stave bubinga shell I threw in there than the wires!

Posted on 13 years ago

Canopus wires from Japan are real good too I have heard..............

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here