Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

what kind of laquer/varnish for slingerland 70's drums

Hi,

I'd like to know what kind of varnish to use for my old slingerland drumset (natural brown wood finish, around the 70's). It has suffered a bit during the years and i plan to revarnish it. How should i proceed? Is it ok to put the varnish layer upon the old one?Do you think it will alter the sound? I live in france so all the laquer or varnish will not be available for me

Thanks for your tips.

Best regards

Basile

Posted on 17 years ago

This is an older thread so hope you haven't done anything yet. You will need a cellulose-based lacquer for that period of drum to be accurate. Someone with more Slingerland expertise might be able to tell you more. You will need to strip it back to the wood because, unlike the older pre-war shellac, it will not bond with the existing lacquer.

I'm putting out a general question on this subject as as well because, much as I hate to do it, I think my Camco Chanute maple kit is going to officially become a "players kit" so I can hang the authenticity and give it the re-lacquering I think it needs. The damage done by recoverings to the original lacquer has just made it that little bit below par.

I've got a lot of experience using the aforementioned older shellac and french polishing which is a whole art in itself. But I'm not so good on the modern stuff. When you guys have been forced to do a re-lacquer/varnish job, are you getting this done by professional spray-painters or are you doing it by yourself by hand? Or doing your own spray painting of lacquer. All tips accepted.

I also need to get some pieces of a donor shell - laughable as this might sounds, does anyone have a section of a donor 22" Camco bass drum shell around 2" x 2"? (Hey, you don't ask you don't get.) Or a suggestion of something else that might do the job. Same for a 13" actually.

Hopefully,

David

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here