Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

What Kind of Buffing Wheel to Polish Nickel?

Hello All!

I'm new to the forum, though I've "lurked" for years when I've had questions.

I'm cleaning up two vintage snares and have a question. What kind of buffing wheel do I need on my buffer--loose cotton or spiral cotton? I'm going to buff a Leedy Professional (mid-1920s), as well as the hardware from a 1950 Slingerland Radio King. Both have nickel-plated finishes.

Before you answer, let me say this:

1) I'm either going to buy the $40 6" buffer at Harbor Freight or a $47 Skil 6" bench grinder at Lowe's. If anyone has specific recommendations (both products have favorable reviews), I'm all ears. Or eyes, in the case of the Net. My previous projects have been done with borrowed equipment.

2) I restored an early 1930s Ludwig Pioneer several years ago with a buffing wheel and ***eler's rouge. I knew to buff gently with the nickel hardware, and I didn't have any problems. (The drum is still gorgeous, and it's been 10 years.) I've also used more aggressive polishing compound to remove nickel plating. My question about the type of buffing pads has to do with the products available today. I'm pretty sure that only spiral cotton pads were available when I last did this, but it's been a long time.

Also, does anyone know if there's an individual or a company that can straighten vintage drum rims? The top hoop on my Slingy is a bit out of round. It's enough so that you can see it, though it doesn't affect tuning.

Thanks in advance!

Spencer

Posted on 11 years ago

I put a "j.e.welers" (spelled to avoid the auto-censoring) wheel on my bench grinder, and bought some stick-paste polish that you just run right into the buffing wheel, and it worked pretty good on my drums. It was just a bunch of cloth circles pressed together with a hole in the middle to attach it to the grinder. The paste did leave some residue that collected on the corners and edges that was easy enough to remove, and underneath all of this was some pretty shiny metal.

It probably goes without saying, but do pay heed to use all the guards, and adjust the rests or whatever. I got a rim caught on the underside, while trying to polish it with the grinder, and it ripped it out of my hands like I was a 2 year old.......

toodles

drumhack flowerMister TCool DudeJumping2flower

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses then why the hell do they keep score Peg? - Al Bundy
Posted on 11 years ago

I use a loose cotton wheel on mine with the right polishing compound.

It works well.

What's up with censoring "***elers"? :confused:

www.macdrums.com
Posted on 11 years ago

Thanks for the info, guys! Just got a Harbor Freight coupon, so I think I'll try that. Then again, I need new shoes. Hmmmm...

As for the censoring of ***eler's, it's to avoid anyone using an ethnic slur. I completely understand and support that, but didn't know about it before posting... so that's why the asterisks appear in my original post.

Regards,

Spencer

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here