Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.45720%

What is this (British) snare?

Hello everyone!

I've just joined as I've used the site on and off for a while to identify stuff and I'm looking forward to joining in the fray. Briefly, I've been playing in the UK for 30+ years and am now well into vintage gear US and UK.

I'm attaching a photo of a lovely WMP 'pancake' snare I recently acquired. I haven't a clue who made it. It has some marks where a badge may have been around the vent hole. It is 6 ply, 8 lug and the lugs are solid cast with the throw shown and a premier style butt. My guess is John Grey perhaps an Autocrat because of the build quality.

Looking forward to hearing from you

Peter

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I have never seen a snare like that, but I think the throwoff is a Trumsa...although I could be completely wrong. Trumsa throwoff would imply a German drum.

I'm just guessing.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

Looks like the Olympic "Discus" snare. The attached picture is from a 1960's catalog.

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

That's gotta be it. My apologies for the bad guess!:o

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

Wel that didn't take long - this must be the delux version with 8 lugs. The one pictured is 6. Thanks to O Lugs and Harvard, I new there were experts out there! Are these of any vintage value? It does tune up well with a raucous little crack and quite sensitive when played light.

Peter

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here