Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

What is the correct snare for this kit?

ok, so I purchased the Slingerland set and I'm loving it. I am going to re-wrap as the seams are coming undone. I'm going to keep it the original color. My question to you all is, what would be the correct snare for this set? Does anyone have a catalog showing this set? Every drum has the Niles badges and all serial numbers start with 56XXXX. I was thinking this was made in the early 80's but I'm not sure, the previous owner said it was from the late 70's. I would really like to have the original snare for it so it's as complete as could be. I know this isn't a gorgeous '60's kit, but it's a start to my collection. Oh ... Ploughman you were absolutely correct in saying the toms were floor toms. the smallest tom is 12x12. It gets ridiculous after that one. My fiance brought in the 20" floor tom and then I handed her one of the 24" kick drums and she said, " I thought I just brought in the bass drum!??!!" DOH

1 attachments
Posted on 16 years ago

Any 14" x 20" snare would do!! :D You might need a taller throne!

In 1983 they were offering a lot of snares. Anything with a Slap Shot Strainer. They also had the rapid strainer. Lot's of 10 lug and 12 lug drums.

Look for anything that does not have reinforcement hoops inside the drums (at least I think your shells do not have them?)

Also, just fix the seams. There is no reason to re-wrap and it is not worth the expense and or the time, when they can easily be fixed.

It will probably cost more then what you paid for them to put new wrap on them!

Visit the Slingerland section to get an exact date and then look for a snare with the same shells

David

Posted on 16 years ago

Also, to find out which set you have, you need to give us more detail and the measurements of each drum, shells only.

Then I can get you a catalog shot

David

Posted on 16 years ago

David,

The shell sizes are ..12x12, 13x13, 14x14, 15x15, 18x16, 20x18 and the bass drums are 24x16. All of the sizes are ... well does it really matter which is the head size and which is depth?? (head size first in the case of the floor toms and bass drums) All toms have stick saver style rims on them top and bottom. I heard someone say Magnum series in a store I was in recently, but I don't really know other than it is a 5 ply shell and the interiors are maple (very thin) then a thicker type of wood then another thin ply of maple and then another thicker py of something and what appears to be mahogony? The inner shell is clear lacquer finish. They are well sealed anyway you look at it. You are correct in saying they don't have re-rings. Keep on Pl

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here