Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

What is more rare I wonder?

I wonder if my Arbiter green lacquer AT snare drum (circa 1998) is more "rare" than a 1920's Black Beauty in good condition. I know there are a lot of vintage drum collectors out there and it seems that almost every one of them has an old BB in their collection (if not more than one! and I have seen comparatively few Arbiter AT snare drums.

I'm not talking about the comparative "value" of these two examples, or the collectibility, or which drum is "better" or anything like that -rather, just the rarity.

Arbiter wasn't anywhere near the company that Ludwig was insofar as size of the manufacturing output of drums. In addition to that, the AT design was a market-failure and after only a few years, the line was discontinued -not really what you would deem as "bragging rights", but these factors do add to the rarity of Arbiter AT drums, nonetheless.

But, in the 1920's, Ludwig had to be one of the biggest snare drum manufacturers in the world and lots of BB's (or whatever they were officially called) had to have made it through the doors...right?

Are there other examples of specifically rare drums that aren't necessarily old drums?

What is the least-rare drum? Acrolite, possibly? Supra?

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

Is your Arbiter snare the one with only one tension rod for each side of the head? If so, I actually liked that snare, the music store that I worked at, had a 14x5 (I think, it might have been a 13in). It had a great deal of crack. Quite a few people complained about that snare, but, if you truely gave it a chance, it tuned up fine. The store had the Aribiter Flats and a natural 5pc kit with that tuning system. All three of those items would be covered under your question, there could not have been a high production of those drums. Yeah, that Arbiter drum set has to be a rare one, but, is it valuable? Wood Dyna-sonic, small production, crazy prices. Gretsch round badge drums, decent to large production, crazy prices. Ludwig Trivoli Vistalites, small production, didn't sell, the lights might not work, crazy prices. North drums, kooky looking drums, small production, and it gathers dust at Guitar Center for $1500, waiting for that one person to come in and pick 'em up. I like to see what other people come up with..

Rogers early Fullerton Blue Strata 22,13,16 w/brass Dynasonic
My first kit, 1983 Ludwig Rocker? (it has the classic lugs and 4ply maple shell) 22,12,13,16 ..now in black oyster pearl. I still have it
Stop Sign USA Gretsch (80's), black nitron jasper shell 22,12,13,16
1995 Fibes Austin,Texas Badge (original owner) 22,10,12,16,18 in natural wood
USA 2007 Rosewood Gretsch 22,13,16 w/12inch 70's Rosewood Gretsch tom
Posted on 16 years ago

I'm not sure how to evaluate the Arbiter drums as far as monetary value. They were expensive to make and they were priced very high when they appeared on the market. Subsequently, they didn't sell. Stores that had a kit (usually one per participating store -many stores weren't even interested in stocking one, anyway) inevitably had to blow them out. That's how I was able to afford my kit.

I wish there was more interest in these drums because I love talking with drummers about them. I guess I tend to love the "wild" ideas in the world of design. When I was a kid, I loved the designs of Ed Roth (a hot rod builder). I liked how some designers saw the future and were able to execute a design that reflected their ideals. Ivor was the Ed Roth of drum design, in my opinion. He was "Q".

The fact that the drums are "weird" and the fact that they were not market successes might someday mean their value will increase. It's difficult to predict. "Oddball" items sometimes come back into fashion. What's "ugly" today, might be beautiful tomorrow.

I just like the way they work and look. I always check EBay to see if there are any kits up for auction but I just don't see them. I see the occasional snare drum, but not very many kits. I have been told they are MUCH more common in England and not very well-liked there, either! :(

I'm looking for a red lacquer Arbiter kit. If you hear of one please let me know!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

Photos?

Mike Curotto

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here