Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

What is last year of COB Supraphonics.

Hello all,

I know that during the 60s suprahonics had a chrome-over-brass shell. As far as I know, during the 60s this was changed (I believe for cost rather than sonic reasons...) to alluminium? I have a couple of questions with this...

I, from what I know, get the vibe that the COB supraphonic has a more desirable tone (maybe this is not the case, I have yet to hear one). Would anyone be able to have a stab at describing the resultant sound from the two shell tones? Or is anyone knows of where some audio clips of these might be found...?

Basically, I am looking to find out the last year that COB was manufactured and whether it is worth trying to get one of these over a later supraphonic.

Thanks for any help that can be offered - I hope some of the above makes sense...!

Jimmy.

Posted on 16 years ago

I believe the last of the standard production model Supra 400 COB snares was 1962.Being Ludwig- you can find exceptions to every rule and timeline.

Posted on 16 years ago

From Rob Cook's The Ludwig Book p.243.

"In response to rising brass prices , Ludwig in 1961 began searching for an alternative material. (Hoops would remain brass until 1964). A very few Super Ludwigs were made of Steel... paraphrased The steel shells were followed by one piece spun aluminum........ "

There are five pages in the book dedicated to and I quote from page 241, "Supraphonic Snare Drum-- One of (if not they) most popular snare drums of all time....."

:2Cents:

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 16 years ago

Hi,

I have both COB and Alloy Supras...I cannot tell the difference between them. I'm sure there is some difference in tone, but not to my ears.

Hope this helps

Stixofire

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here