Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

What Glue to use for Recovering

Hi there just wondering what is the best glue to use for recovering and also for seams that have come unstuck. Please Help I am in the UK so I'm not to sure about 3M product availability.

Cheers

Crew

Posted on 17 years ago

This is not a definitive answer but at least has a more generic non-3M brand angle that might help you (me being based in Sweden and all).

For wrap recovering some kind of contact adhesive is the way to go. Local hardware shop should be able to point you in the right direction (I'm a little out of touch with U.K. brands these days).

For re-gluing shells, there will doubtless be debate. If it's a pre-WWII kits (unlikely I know but possible) they probably would have been using something like horse or fish glue (as the names suggest made from the remains of these beasties). In any case that is what antique furnitures restorers use when repairing stuff from that period.

After that period I don't really have any expertise and will leave that to the guys who do - been lucky enough never to have a shell start to fall apart on me.

Another fallback is to drop a line to Eddie Ryan, fairly famous custom drum manufacturer based somewhere in Essex now - Google him.

David

Posted on 17 years ago

Hi. The 3M Fastbond is definitely the best that I've used. I got mine on Ebay at a cheaper price than usual. Maybe the seller would consider mailing to the UK. Just do a search for 3M Fastbond on Ebay. Good luck!

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here