Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

What glue for fixing reinforcement rings?

I'm restoring a Ludwig jazz festival snare drum.

The reinforcement rings are coming of from the shell at some points.

What kind of glue is the best to use for fixing? This glue should of course whitstand the continuous tension and pressure from lugs and heads.

How can I put this glue in the small gap between shell and rings without spoiling too much and having enough glue in the gap?

Posted on 15 years ago

You could use Tightbond II or III, it's super strong and better than what they had back then. That would be the strongest I know of.

I'd use Tightbond hide glue because I don't like plastic glue on musical instruments, and to me it looks better than other glues.

To get it in the cracks you could put something like a popsicle stick or small screwdriver very, very carefully in there to spread the crack while you put the glue in- just be careful you don't make things worse, but in a way I'd even accept some making it worse for a moment to get more glue in there. You could clamp it after with small C-clamps and maybe some scraps of wood so the clamps don't dent - just make sure you don't glue the scraps to the drum.

Posted on 15 years ago

I just used plain old Elmer's Wood Glue. It was recommended to me from people who've done this a time or two.

Posted on 15 years ago

Elmer's Wood Glue. That's what I use. I've repaired about ten rerings this summer. It's good stuff and does what it's supposed to do. You might want to invest heavily into CLAMPS, though. It takes several for a repair job.

Posted on 15 years ago

Elmers glue recommended for drum repair.

Thin kitchen knife for applying the glue. Be sure to use wood strips between the drum and clamps for protection. If you can bend the wood strips to the shape of the drum, even better.

Posted on 15 years ago

thank you for all the suggestions.

Antother question:

the white paint at the inside of my Jazz fest is cracking and flaking of in some area's. There's also some dirt I can't get of. I'm considering to repaint the interior. What paint should I use: paint used with water (water based acrylic) or synthetic based (used with white spirit like lacquer)?

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here