Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

What floor tom is this?

It is being represented as a 60's era Ludwig. It has a keystone badge serial dating it to '66.

It has 20 lugs, and is 15" deep, 16" wide. Pulling a head, I found that the badge - is held in place with a fold-over type clip/bushing, visible in picture. There is no muffler or mount for one. There's no reinforcing rings. No date stamp.

Could it be a later Ludwig? Or not a Ludwig at all? The lugs are regular type you'd see on a '60s Ludwig, no extra holes anywhere.

Amazing...any idea would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2 attachments
Posted on 16 years ago

Frankentom!!!

No idea if it's really a Ludwig shell or not - I'd say not. It seems to have many conflicting issues. No re-rings, keystone badge, fold over grommet, etc...

The wood at least appears to be maple, on the inner ply.

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 16 years ago

THIS IS NOT A LUDWIG FLOOR TOM!!! It's a reworked..."Frankenstein" -as mentioned.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

The badge is non-original, but the rest of the drum looks like an 80s era Ludwig rack tom. It has the earlier large rack tom mount on it rather than the often-used "Modular" tom mounts. I believe they were available in both types for a while. The 16" and 15" rack toms of this era have 10 lugs per side on them, which looks strange when you see the floor toms and they have 8 per side. Also because the badge was replaced, it could be a re-wrap. So it is definitely not a 60s Ludwig drum but it could very well be an 80s Ludwig drum, and that is all I can say with the information you're providing.

Another strange thing about this drum is the placement of the mount. It would normally be placed closer to the top head rather than the bottom head, so maybe the badge is upside down.. Stuff like this usually generates more questions than answers..

Posted on 16 years ago

Bizzare!!!! I read the posts and agree that is probobly is an 80's era rack tom.

I have owned ludwigs for35 years and have never heard of a 15x16 6-'s tom or a badge with a push pin holding it or with 10 lugs!. I had a set from the

80's that had 8 lugs on a 13 inch mounted tom, so the 10 lug 16 sounds correct. It could have been a special order with the non modular mount and blue sparkle color, maybe to match an existing set. DEFINATELY NOT A 60'S DRUM

joe

Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate your expertise.

So much for that...

Hmmmm

Posted on 16 years ago

Definately looks like an 80's Ludwig tom. 60's Ludwigs also never had the badge over a leg mount like that. Wierd drum!

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 16 years ago

hello,what you have is a mounted tom not floor.ludwig came out in 1980 with power toms[mounted] 11x12,12x13,13x14,14x15,15x16 the 12,13,14,15 had 8 lugs a side,the 16 had 10 lugs a side..these shell were made of 6 ply maple.the badge should be a b/o badge..not the keystone one that is on the drum you have.mike

Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks for all the info.

This place is great.Cool1

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here