Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

What drum head for my 22x18 kick/Reso

Hi. I have a Remo/pinstripe/Batter on my 22x18 Kick.What should go on the front.(Reso) ? No port

Posted on 11 years ago

I used an Evans EQ3 for years with the same batter (1/2 covered with deadringer and an egg crate foam pad in bottom of bass just touching both heads) but the EQ3 reso head has a port hole in it.

I think a single ply with a perimeter ring would work well, but if you gave a clue of the sound you want we might be able to help better...

Currently I run a Powerstroke Pro batter with an Evans contact patch for the beater on my 22X14 and keep the EQ3 resonant head on front and I'm happy with that sound. I like a 'touch' of ring to the batter that I can control by either bouncing the beater or burring the beater to kill the ring. Some people like more or less ring...

On my D-20 (20X14 bass) I have a coated Emperor batter and the stock (Ambassador thickness) resonant, but that has a hole out of necessity to hide former owner's use of the reso as a batter. I run with 3" wide felt on both heads from the fabric store, with the batter felt very near the edge and the reso felt a bit further into the head. That has a pleasant sound for me as well.

Both drums in my case (22 and the 20) are Birch shells.

Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here