Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

What does the wood look like under vintage tama swingstars

Ok guys i have bought another bass drum but it is a different color, Im thinking of staining and lacquering, But i want to know what the wood looks like first.

These are they original series made in 1976-79 and they pre-date the zola coat ones, They have a badge with no serial number and the pointed triangular lugs

I have attached some pics Before i got them of coarse, they are much cleaner now

1976 Tama Swingstar 6 peace W/ Vintage Premier 1035 snare drum.
Posted on 12 years ago

Is this a trick question cuz they`re sit`n on concrete ??

Under a wrap, you may find knots and filled voids,..you take your chances !!

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 12 years ago

Those are 9 ply luan (mahogany).So after stripping the wrap,figure on staining sealing and finishing something like skin on a hollow core door.Give it a shot,it may turn out ok,just remember this wood is cheap stuff,thats also called Phillipine mahogany(which really isn't really mahogany at all).They sound decent with good heads and tuning.

Steve B

Posted on 12 years ago

Light tan to medium brown.

:p

Posted on 12 years ago

Basically, they will look like the inside - but not always as nice, as Tama knew they were going to be coated on the outside.

The nicest pieces of veneer went on the inside.

Jon

Posted on 12 years ago

My oppinion (and experience)is they wont look good just staining them. Go get some veneer and stick it on there, its easy. Then stain and lacq. I have seen way too many drums that look like junk after attempting to cover cheep ugly shells with stain. Do it right the first time, you will be glad you did. Veneer can be purchased with pressure sensitive adhesive (PSA) so just peel and stick. Plus that Luan veneer wants to come apart, so the new layer of veneer will hold everything together. But thats only my oppinion, others will disagree I am sure.

Jeff C

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 12 years ago

From jccabinets

My oppinion (and experience)is they wont look good just staining them. Go get some veneer and stick it on there, its easy. Then stain and lacq. I have seen way too many drums that look like junk after attempting to cover cheep ugly shells with stain. Do it right the first time, you will be glad you did. Veneer can be purchased with pressure sensitive adhesive (PSA) so just peel and stick. Plus that Luan veneer wants to come apart, so the new layer of veneer will hold everything together. But thats only my oppinion, others will disagree I am sure.Jeff C

Ditto.

Wow, Jeff, sounds like you're at least somewhat sold on the PSA skins! I did so some reading on the site you posted on the "Ludwig Rockers" thread. For best results with the PSA, it shouldn't go directly on bare wood. It adheres better to a sealed surface... which makes sense. I didn't seal the surface of the Rockers, but so far no problems even with the high humidty we've had around here -- but I will seal the next set I do!

Bill

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
"Redrums - Ks" on FB and Reverb
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Posted on 12 years ago

Opps! Ok then spray some sealer then peel and stick. I wouldnt worry about yours, the lugs will hold it down. Remember alot of the wraps are only taped at the seems and float over the rest odf the drum. No worries.

Jeff C

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 12 years ago

From jccabinets

Opps! Ok then spray some sealer then peel and stick. I wouldnt worry about yours, the lugs will hold it down. Remember alot of the wraps are only taped at the seems and float over the rest odf the drum. No worries.Jeff C

Actually, not worried at all; you're right, the lugs will hold it down. IF any seperation begins to occur. It hasn't yet, anyway.

And I'll bet you'll agree with me on this: I'd MUCH rather remove the wrap from a shell that the "tape method" was used!! :)

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
"Redrums - Ks" on FB and Reverb
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Posted on 12 years ago

I'd MUCH rather remove the wrap from a shell that the "tape method" was used!!

Amen!

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here