Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

What do you think?

Hi, I know this is my first post and its going to be long and if I am in the wrong place, sorry.

Anyway, here is my situation. I bought this set about 14 years ago at an estate sale. Last year I started researching where it came from and its history because it came with alot of personalized stuff for Louie Bellson. The set is a slingerland. It has 6 concert toms and one floor tom, It has one bass that is pearl. All the toms have a signature plate with Louie Bellsons name. All the Drum cases are stenceled with "Louie Bellson Orchestera" and "Slingerland drums" The drum cases have address tags with Louie Bellsons name and home address. Last year I was able to get ahold of Louie and send him pics of the set. He verified that it was a set custom built for him by slingerland and that the address was his. He also stated that there was a couple things wrong with it since he had it, he said that there should have been 2 bass drums, and he usually didn't use all concert toms. I can't pin down where this set was used, or how I came about owning it. I have 3 origional cymbals and all the origional hardware and stands, petals. The drums have slight dings and general wear, definately not perfect condition, but mainly good condition. I have origional sticks, brushes and mallets that were used with it. Long story short, I am in a pinch, I am moving and don't have room for it anymore. I am either going to put it into storage or sell it and I don't know if it is worth selling. look at the pics and tell me how much it is worth and what you think I should do. I have never seen anything like it before, I don't want them getting trashed in storage, but I hate to let them go. I have more pics and info if needed. Thanks.

[IMG]http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k246/simpsons7s/drums/th_ExtraPictures025.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k246/simpsons7s/drums/th_ExtraPictures016.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k246/simpsons7s/drums/th_ExtraPictures014.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k246/simpsons7s/drums/th_ExtraPictures_026.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k246/simpsons7s/drums/th_ExtraPictures_024.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k246/simpsons7s/drums/th_ExtraPictures_029.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 16 years ago

I would recommend that you rework the rack toms to have bottom lugs

and rims/hoops. If there are no bottom reinforcing rings, have a shop

add them. Then purchase additional repro Slingerland lugs that match

your originals. I'm Thinking of doing this same thing with a set of early

70's S-land purple sparkles. All of my toms have rings inside, top and

bottom. I do not have the chrome rings at the bottom, as you do.

Some would say that you're reducing the value of your set, but I don't

believe you are. I asked other "experts" on-line and they suggested

doing away with the concert tom look and making them look like regular

tom-toms.. That's my 2 cents worth. Really like your set, too!!

Posted on 16 years ago

Well, I would have to disagree with John.

I think the concert toms are no longer in fashion...and I, personally, never liked the sound of them...but, on the other hand, they DO represent an era in drum building that was somewhat "unique". Concert toms are like bell-bottom pants and platform shoes....In other words, they might be really dumb in terms of now, but they were THE coolest things going in their own time. One day, people will want them, again...if for no other reason than to remember the days when concert tom ruled! A converted concert tom is worth only the value of the sound to that player. Once they are converted, the collectible value is zero.

I think they are cool, as-is.

What are they worth? I don't want to venture a guess....I'll let the Slingerland experts chime in for that one. Stay tuned. Someone will be around to lend more assistance in due time. Mister T

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

I know that Louie was endorsed by Slingerland and he mostly used a single double headed tom, two bass drums and floor toms. I don't recall of him using or endorsing Pearl, although he may have. If it was a complete kit of his signature kit, the sky's the limit. You might find a few buyers, but I agree O-lugs, concert toms are fashionable.

For what it's worth

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 16 years ago

I first missed this post and thought I would interject in this...

Let me ask you about the canister throne? Is it also badged with a Louie Badge?

I can't see the snare and is it badged?

Concert toms or not, they are Louie Bellson drums with his special tag...

They are for sure a mixed set with the Pearl bass drum, WMP toms and the Black Chrome floor tom...

Tell us about the throne and snare and please show us some pictures...

David

Posted on 16 years ago

Louis Bellson did in fact play/endorse Pearl drums for a time in the early to mid 70's, and this would be after he left Slingerland, thus the Pearl bass drum in this kit could most certainly have been his. His drums were the typical set-up that he always played:

Two bass drums... one rack... two floor's... a couple concert toms!... and his usual cymbal set up... and in WMP of course! I caught and met Louis after he finished a clinic he did in Boston while playing/endorsing Pearl drums back in the 70's. The consumate gentleman, extremely friendly, and very easy to meet and talk with. His playing speaks for itself! I remember asking him how he got that KILLER bass drum sound out of his drums with NO PORT... and at this time, EVERYBODY had giant ports cut in their front bass drum heads. It was the 70's you know... thud, thud, thud. Louis took the time to go over to his Pearl's and show me exactly how he muffled without having to port the front head... his method was quite original at the time, can't say that I had ever seen it before. Anyway,

The drums were Pearl... sounded GREAT!... and so did Louis of course! Truth be told, I loved his Rogers drums the most though! :-)

Tommyp

Posted on 16 years ago

TommyP,

It wouldn't be a complete post by you if there wasn't a plug for Rogers!! I thought Louie endorsed Pearl, but couldn't confirm and I only post for what I know to be truth.

Secondly, how did Louie get that boom without ports??

Backbeatkeeper

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks for the replies, I don't think I would want to change these drums to have a bottom head. I personally like the bottom head on a drum but I don't want to risk messing these up. Also, I have never seen concert toms with the bottom chrome ring either and I think that is unique. As for the snare I am not sure if it is origional or not, I will take pics this weekend and repost more. The pearl bass had a plate mounted on top by the tom holder but it has come off over the years. I would like to see another pearl set from this time period to compare the endorser plate. The canaster throne has an endorser plate on it as well, it matches the toms. My real guess from all that I have come accross and researched is that this set was given to one of louies roadies, It is definately a mixed set, because some of the stands are red badged slingerland and then some are black badged slingerland. I am pretty sure the bass is an endorser custom for Louie. The floor tom is really rare I think, The hardware and endorser plate is all copper, and I've never seen a endorser drum for Louie that was not wrapped in marine pearl and this is gloss black. Also here are some pics of the bass drum case that came with the set. Notice it also has the stencling and also see the drum world tag, It has Louies home address on it and this case fits that pearl bass perfectly.

[IMG]http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k246/simpsons7s/drums/th_ExtraPictures023.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k246/simpsons7s/drums/th_ExtraPictures024.jpg[/IMG]

I was thinking about getting 2 slingerland bass drums to complete this set, anybody want to chime in with thoughts. Thanks for all the help.

Posted on 16 years ago

I wouldn't change a thing...I hate reading on here how people 'add legs' or 'drill for hoops for bottom heads'. The drums are what they are. They have survived this long as what they are, why change them now?

If you can't keep them, that isn't fun and I feel your pain! Why not contact someone like Steve Maxwell in Chicago with his drum museum. If Steve isn't interested, I'm sure there are tons of people around that would take the drums and keep them just as they are.

You've got a drum kit that has been picked right out of history! There is nothing greater than knowing that the drums were built for someone like like Louie!

Good luck to you!

-Kevin

1961 Ludwig Super Classic 22,13,16,18, WFL BR Snare WMP
1951-52 Slingerland Radio King Krupa Outfit 24,13,16 Champagne Sparkle
1960s/70s Polaris MIJ 20,12,16 Red Sparkle
2005 Gretsch Catalina Club WMP First Run
2008 Pearl Masters MCX 20,10,12,14f,16f & 14 Diamond Glitter
1999 Yamaha Stage Custom 22,10,12,14r,16f. Marina Green

...& many more...
Posted on 16 years ago

I had Louie's 2 to one snare from this set, one of the 9 x 13" cases, and his 14/15 Pearl "extended" floor tom.

DON'T do anything to the toms...drums owned by a famous drummer should never be modified...

I put the drums I had on consignment at Steve Maxwell's shop...they were purchased...I don't know if he still has them. You should contact him.

Here's the snare drum:

http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/drum_of_the_month.html

Louie endorsed Gretsch, Rogers, Slingerland, Pearl and Remo (as far as I know).

There are photos of him with the above Slingerland snare and of him with the Pearl "extender" set on the net...I used to have them but can't find them now!

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here