Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

What do you make of this concert tom?

I found this in a junk shop today and it had me intrigued. 15x12", 60s Pearl script badge, but Rogers-style lugs, could be beavertails (doubtful) or some stencil clone (likely). There is granitone-style interior paint and the lug bolts have hexagonal heads.

Whoever had it before has certainly done a number on it: drilled for a new tom mount; seems like a home stain job on the shell; and it looks like that Pearl badge was just stuck on there - there are other nail holes visible, plus the existing nails do not match.

I'm thinking this is a stencil, certainly MIJ or MIT, but not Pearl. Did any of the other Japanese companies paint the insides of their drums (apart from Tama)?

Anyway, anyone have any ideas? I've gone through the 60s Pearl catalogues and I can't find anything that matches. Also had a look through the Rogers parts catalogue from 1969, and the lugs on this monster are remarkably similar to the small beavertails in the catalogue, but I very much doubt they're Rogers lugs. However, I'm not dismissing that idea just yet...;)

But any thoughts or impressions are most welcome.

Thanks guys,

Trev

Posted on 7 years ago

It's also rusty as all hell! But still, only cost me $5...:D

Posted on 7 years ago

Methinks you got yourself a Rogers tom... Not a bad deal 5 bucks... if you take a look at the badge you will see that the "other" holes line up for a 60's Rogers "Script" badge... Had a pair of those toms in the 80's... (actually they were stolen from a backstage area) .. I'd find an ATM.. pull out 15 bucks and go back for the rest of the KIT..

Cheers

And yes.. Rogers used that inner coating...

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 7 years ago

Sure looks like a Rogers concert tom to me as well! Like longjohn said, it appears like the Rogers script badge was remove. Also evidence that this had a Swivo mount. Interior coating is correct for Rogers. The ears on the hoop look like Rogers. Appears to have a 9/72 sticker in the shell, too. You got a good deal for $5. Clean it up and post pictures!

Mark

Posted on 7 years ago

I agree with everyone above about the drum . . . a Rogers.

You really cant go wrong for $5

Wort case scenario, you take it apart, clean it up and wrap it to match your existing kit.

Enjoy the steal !

Michael

No Guru - I just love collecting & learning about vintage drums!

Some of my favorites from the kits in the collection
58 WFL New Yorker Blue Sparkle
67 Ludwig Hollywood Red Psychedelic
69 Ludwig Standard Red Ruby Strata
70's Ludwig BOP "Ringo" Kit

A few of my favorite snares
20's Leedy Black Elite
51 Leedy & Ludwig Knob Tension
58 WFL Buddy Rich Classic Blue Sparkle
63 Walberg & Auge Sea Blue Agave Green Pearl
66 Leedy Shelly Manne Blue Agate Pearl
Posted on 7 years ago

Thanks for the replies Gentlemen, and what I had secretly hoped. I know very little about Rogers, and you tend to find predominately Asian-made stuff in junk shops here.

Yes, those other nail holes are much closer together, and that made me think Rogers, also the holes for the original tom mount, plus the lugs, so you all have made my day by confirming something which I thought was highly unlikely!

I haven't done anything to it yet, but I will take it to bits and give it a thorough clean. The hoop is pretty badly rusted, so I'll see how I go with that. But just in case, anyone have a spare 15", 8 lug Rogers hoop lying about?

Anyway, I'll keep you posted. But on the USA page, of course... Thanks again Gentlemen!

Clapping Happy2Mind BlowiClapping Happy2

Posted on 7 years ago

Can`t go wrong for $5!! The badge is worth more than that...

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here