Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

WFL Zephyr Lug Help

I saw a 6 1/2 x 14 WFL 8 lug Zephyr snare for $199 at the local music store today. It's not restored and needs some TLC. Is it worth it?

Also any markings on it I should look for? Thanks in advance.

Posted on 17 years ago

From another forum if your interested:

The zephyr --also known as peapod -- lug drums were William F. Ludwig's foray back into the business in the late 1930's. They were inexpensive for the time. Ludwig, having just bought back his company, did not yet own the rights to the Ludwig name. Hence, the WFL brand was born.

Actually, in 1938 there was an interim lug design. It was a stepped, three per side, soft-edged rectangle affair. I believe these had inserts. I owned such a snare one time. It had dual "door knocker" throw-offs. And the rare WFL and lyre gold badge.

Did you know that's the when and why of the WFL name? Indeed, those zephyr lug drums are historically interesting in several regards.

Wait ... there's more:

The zephyr lug was inspired by the zephyr train, a train built for speed, which debuted at the 1939 Worlds Fair in New York. That's the story behind the design of the lugs. They are also know as peapod lugs, the reason being self-evident.

If memory serves, I had an article published about Ludwig's lug designs, including the zephyr lug drums, in Not So Modern Drummer about fifteen years ago . Therefore, this is no doubt old hat for most of you all ;-).

Hold your breath, guys:

I may one day manifest the historical elements and inspiration behind Ludwig & Ludwig's enduring Art Deco Imperial Lug design. That's classic Art Deco, man.

What about the Ludwig Classic Lugs, you ask.

Did you realize the three lines drawn down the middle of the lugs are known as "speed whiskers"? Again, America's passion for speed and technology is reflected in the design elements of the day. Facinating design rhythms, right? Down right eurhythmic, you say.

Seriously, in closing, I'd say go for it! I think those zephyr lug drums are the bees knees.

The finish appears to be painted on. It's an off white color which as you mentioned is in fact peeling and cracking... So the drum is from the late 30's then? I was thinking that also.

Indeed, that would be the original duco finish. By the way, it is correct to refer to the original finish, even if it's a solid color (monochrome) as duco. Contrary to much popular belief, duco is actually an abbreviation for Dupont Company, who made the paint. It is not a reference to dual color (polychrome). Some guys just won't buy this, but I've read several articles which, going back to the literature and respective catalogs of the day, confirm this fact.

Again, that should be a 1939 drum, per my previous "essay" on the zepher lug nomenclature.

Agopsalott

I'll take a closer look Monday. Check the lugs for signs of stripping and possibly take a few pictures to post.

Let us know what you find, but I'd be surprised if the lugs are stripped.

We'll be interested if the drum has the single "door knocker" throw-off as well. I think that's the correct throw-off for this drum. It might have WFL etched inside an elogated diamond on the long-stemmed throw-off handle as well. Let's see.

As you might know, these are three-ply drums: mahagony, poplar, mahagony. The inside shells should be dark, unpainted and rather porous, yielding a naturally dry and vintage sound.

Later Ludwig catalogs would indicate their mahagony came from the coasts of Africa. They didn't say which coasts, or which county for that matter -- but I always thought that sounded wonderfully exotic. In contrast, the poplar came, I believe I was informed, primarily from the Carolinas. It was selected as the inside ply because it was cheap.

By the way, don't be surprised if that drum is indeed 7 inches tall. My 1938, the previous year, was 6.5 x 14 inches but you'll see a lot (if you see a lot) of 7 inch drums from 1939. Cheap as they were, I'm surprised they didn't knock half an inch of these things! Do tell.

Posted on 17 years ago

Nice information, but please do me a favor and find the name or User ID of this person so we can give him the proper credit.

His information is great and should be credited.

Thanks and I wonder which snare strainer the drum has?

David

Webmaster

Posted on 17 years ago

Thanks David, your absolutely right.

I know this person only as misterbritt. He posted the info at Cymbalholic.

If I can credit him by name here I will certainly do it.

I think all the hardware is original but I'll make sure. If I do buy it I'll post a few photos here.

Thanks,

Sinclair

Posted on 17 years ago

Thanks, I'm not familiar with him, but I do know that forum and the

webmaster.

They are on our links page.

David

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here