Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.45720%

WFL Twin Sensitive Hollywood Model

Hi y'all. I have a WFL Twin Sensitive Hollywood model snare in white marine pearl. We've used it ocasionally in the studio over the last few years, but can't seem to get what we're looking for sound-wise. Does anyone know what the original snares were for this drum or how best to set it up and mike it? We're actually getting a better sound out of a $30 imported metal snare. If we can't find a use for the WFL, it's going back in the attic!

Posted on 15 years ago
Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 15 years ago

I actually collect those drums and currently have about six of them. The original snares on those drums were 10 strand metal on one side six silk wound snares for the other side. This set up may not be ideal for modern recording and actually finding the correct snares to fit is nearly impossible. Out of my six drums only three of them have the original snare set-ups.

It is kind of tricky but you can set those drums up with a regular set of snares. You just have to adjust the screws in the front of the snares to make them even and you have to get the tension right in the back as there are two but plates to unscrew. i have recorded several times with those drums and they sound incredible. Just try the regular snares and use good heads. remember those drums are never going to sound completely modern. they were made before WWII so they have a certain boxy sound to them. Plus they are very deep. If you want the sound of a new drum then I would suggest using a new drum.

-Kurt

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks for the replys. The one for sale on e-bay seems to be a little overpriced at $1695. The seller also has a Gibson Explorer for $2475 (exactly like mine and I paid $400) priced at about twice its value. You never know what people will buy. I have to agree that to get a modern sound I should use a modern drum. I was just hoping to find a use for this old WFL. Guess I'll just put it up for sale since I'm a working musician and not a collector.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here