Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.45929%

WFL Strainers

Hi there.

I just bought a WFL Drum off ebay. it is in very used condition. from what i found in the rob cook book, it seems to be a SINGLE or TWIN Sensitive Model from the mid 30s, with a wfl lyre badge, probably have to wait for the drum to arrive to find out exactly. the drum i guess will clean up alright, it just does not have the original strainer(s).... does anybody know where to get those? they seem to be awfully rare. or should i just leave it as it is (fitted with a newer p85) ? i'd like to have it as original as possible at some point though.....

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

Yes, those original WFL single and twin strainers are very rare, mainly because the long, thin lever broke very easily and so many have been replaced over the years. If there are extra holes drilled for the replacement strainer, I wouldn't worry about finding the original, as the price will be very high and probably not worth it for a nice player.

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 15 years ago

I collect twin strainer WFL drums and finding those strainers is next to impossible. I have done it but it has taken years of searching to find them. I just restored one recently. It was missing both the strainers and the butt. I had actually been saving the set for an occasion just like this. I think it came out good.

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 15 years ago

hi wflkurt, looks great that! hope i can get mine in alright shape as well....

ok, since it won'T be easy (understatement of the year) to find the right strainer, what would be the next to original solution? at the moment the drum has a 1980s p85. maybe a wfl p83, since the holes are there???

Posted on 15 years ago

I will have to say that you may want to keep the p-85 for now. You will have to let me know if your drum has two strainer holes or four. I am also curious what the butt looks like. That will really help determine what it should have. Don't see many WFL's in the sparkle colors from late 30's. They offered gold, green, red and silver but I have yet to see many of them.

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 15 years ago

Hi. I just received the snare, it is in quite rough condition, i attached some pictures. two questions coming up in my mind:

1. Again the strainer: i attached a pic of the holes. 4 of them original, 2 made afterwards for the replacement P-85. still curious what kind of strainer fits into the original holes...!? i thought it might be a twin sensitive or something, or is it s.th. else???

2. The wrap is quite rough. see the dark spots in the pics, some breaks here and there. i will try and polish it up... what are people's thoughts on keeping it original or even re-wrapping?? In my taste it would be nice to keep it as original as possible...

btw. is this gold or more greenish sparkle??

so, now starts the "good-bye-rust-and-dirt-part", curious how it'll turn out. the inside is really nice, bearings are great... let's fight for it! Sumo Dude

Posted on 14 years ago

See attached pictures

2 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

See catalog picture

1 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

hi there... yep that's what i thought... those strainers in the first picture are not for sale are they? :rolleyes:

Posted on 14 years ago

No, sorry. They're a much better investment than my 401k.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here