Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

WFL snare

I just purchased a mahogony 13x10 WFL snare drum with a badge that says 1728 N Damen Chicago Illinois. Any idea how old this is. Also. the strainer is a Slingerland that is not a typical one. This one is a screw type that only tightens the the wires, it is not the throw off type? Is this the original one that came with the snare?

1 attachments
Posted on 18 years ago

Quoted post

I just purchased a mahogony 13x10 WFL snare drum with a badge that says 1728 N Damen Chicago Illinois. Any idea how old this is. Also. the strainer is a Slingerland that is not a typical one. This one is a screw type that only tightens the the wires, it is not the throw off type? Is this the original one that came with the snare?

Hi,

Are you sure that it is not 14x10....?

The shell is probably 1940s-50s (WFL was from 1935-1955)...the strainer is not original, the lugs are not original and look like Premier, the top rim is not original...I hope that you didn't pay too much...did you?

Mike Curotto

Posted on 18 years ago

Quoted post

Hi,Are you sure that it is not 14x10....?The shell is probably 1940s-50s (WFL was from 1935-1955)...the strainer is not original, the lugs are not original and look like Premier, the top rim is not original...I hope that you didn't pay too much...did you?Mike Curotto

It's a 13 I'm sure - I only paid 50 something - do you think it's worth restoring or is it a piece? Thanks for the reply

Posted on 18 years ago

Quoted post

It's a 13 I'm sure - I only paid 50 something - do you think it's worth restoring or is it a piece? Thanks for the reply

It's not a "piece" but I wouldn't bother restoring it either...there are weay cooler drums that you can get to restore...good luck.

Mike Curotto

Posted on 18 years ago

Fifty would probably put it at the high-end of it's value range. If it's really a 13" drum, then my guess that you have a "Frankenstein" that someone put together from various parts as a project. It was probably a tom tom shell. Are there snare beds cut into the bottom edge?

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 18 years ago

Quoted post

Fifty would probably put it at the high-end of it's value range. If it's really a 13" drum, then my guess that you have a "Frankenstein" that someone put together from various parts as a project. It was probably a tom tom shell. Are there snare beds cut into the bottom edge?

I'm not really sure what snare beds are , but the more I examine it , it looks like it may be aq Frankenstein.Oh well , better luck next time,,,,

Posted on 18 years ago

Snare beds are the area on the bottom edge of the shell that are kind of "dished out" to enable the snare wires to seat themselves flat against the bottom drumhead when the snares are "on"

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 18 years ago

Quoted post

Snare beds are the area on the bottom edge of the shell that are kind of "dished out" to enable the snare wires to seat themselves flat against the bottom drumhead when the snares are "on"

Okay - I really appreciate the advice - I'm going to just mess with it and see if I can get it to sounding good - Thanks to all- Jason

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here