Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.85804%

WFL Snare Before and After

WFL off of Ebay...I got the drum on Thursday and had it back together Friday night...1958 stamp. I have 2 more of these that I'm going to tinker with. I may grab another just because it's so much fun to do.

I also included a pic of my old Ludwig "Tub" that I brought back from the dead.

Cya,

Mike

PS: This site and forum are GREAT!!!

3 attachments
30's Radio King - 26, 13, 13, 16
49 - WFL Ray McKinley - 26, 13, 16
58 - Slingerland Duco
58 - Slingerland Krupa Deluxe
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 20, 12, 14
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 22 (need), 13, 16
And some others..
Posted on 15 years ago

The NOB looks great. One of the best snare drums ever made. IMHO.

Posted on 15 years ago

We put the "Tub" to work the last few weeks with just a 26" 30's RK bass drum on a few gigs and it sounds so good. It has so much depth and body to its sound.

58 - Slingerland Duco
And some others..
Posted on 15 years ago

Yeah. Mine has been my "go to" gig snare for many years.

Posted on 15 years ago

GoneDrumming, can you describe how you refinished that wood shell ?

Posted on 15 years ago

I used Jasco Premium Paint Remover. I let the paint remover stay on for about 15 minutes then I used a heavy green scrubbing pad that is designed to remove paint etc with paint remover. Go with the grain when rubbing. If you have a couple of sections that are stubborn, add more remover, wait a few minutes and start rubbing again. Clean the holes with a Qtip and remove the masking tape from the inside. After everything is removed, wipe the drum down with a paper towel.

Note: I put some masking tape on the inside of the drum to cover the holes so the paint remover does not leak into the inner ply.

After all the paint/stain was removed, I used 220 grit sand paper on an electric block sander and gently finished removing the remainder of the stain. I finished the job with 600 grit followed up with 000 (super fine) steel wool. Wipe the drum down again well, and if you have access to and air compressor, blow the drum down to remove any remaining sanding dust.

Note: The outer ply on some drums are VERY thin (like the thickness of a dime) make sure you don't over work the drum and burn through the ply.

Remask the holes from the inside and apply the stain or paint of your choice following the manufactureres directions..go slow and hop easy.

Note: I use old tshirt pieces to apply stain instead of a brush.

Hope this helps...I will be more than happy to answer other questions..I'm sure other people can add to this as well.

Cya,

Mike

58 - Slingerland Duco
And some others..
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here