Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

WFL Marching Snare??

I have acquired a WFL Marching snare. I have looked on the Ludwig website and in their museum section and found one very close, but that one was a rope tension drum. Does anyone know the year of this drum and possibly what it's worth? The shell is 15x12 (head size first) and the tag appears to be stuck on rather then riveted it. The small tension rod holders (lugs) all say WFL Drum Co. Chicago-USA. The tag reads WFL Drum Co. Wm F Ludwig President 1728 N.Damen Ave. Chicago. Any info would be much appreciated. What's up with the U.S. on the shell?

3 attachments
Posted on 18 years ago

Well it looks like a 1940's Mahogany shelled (Maple reinforcement rings) marching snare. I can tell it's 1940's from the WFL Transition Aluminum "Peel and stick" badge, actually being considered by VSD as the hardest to find.

I wouldn't think the "US" paint job is original, however it sure is fitting with the Transition badge as, "It was probably used just at the beginning of the war until (the aluminum WFL badge) was put in production." -VSD

Posted on 18 years ago

Thanks. How much would you think this would be worth?

Posted on 18 years ago

Marching drums usually bring between $50 and $150...many times the higher end would be for drums that have parts (i.e. strainer, hoops, lugs) that can be "robbed" for other drums. Your drum would be desireable to a WFL and/or Ludwig collector. I'd guess $125-150.

Posted on 18 years ago

I agree with that assessment.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 18 years ago

Thanks so much !! You all are very helpful. Cool

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here