Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

WFL identification help

Hello everbody. its my first posting. I need help identifying a possible WFL.

There are 3 drums 22, 13, 16. They all have 57-59 WFL badges, BUT the wrap has been removed. The outside plywood looks like Mahogony, and the tom holder has been replaced with a 60's tom holder. The floor tom legs have been replaced with 70's premier legs. I believe that the wrap was integrated into the outside ply and this would seem to be the case here as there is a hint of silver sparkle wrap left. I know the owner of the shop its in quite well, he is honest. He was told that the kit is a 62 model. The 13 has had its inside painted yellow, yuk. The thing is I had a premier floor tom that I striped and it looked just like this one from the outside. Can anyone help with further identification?

Posted on 18 years ago

Seems like you have basically identified it.

Yes, the outer ply is a THIN veneer of mahogany over a thicker poplar core. Ludwig used these shells for a long time. They were all basically THIn inner and outer veneers of either/or maple and mahogany with a much thicker poplar core. These are known as "Ludwig 3-ply" shells. There should aslo be a maple reinforcement ring at the ends of the shell where the bearing edges are cut. This reinforcemnt ring adds strength to the shell and creates a nice beefy area for a roundover bearing edge.

Yes, the wrap was tucked into the seam on those old drums...Ludwig continued this practice until the late 60's.

The sizes 13,16,22 are common.

The fact that they have been stripped and painted, renders them virtually worthless to collectors.

Without pictures of the original hardware and wrap and badges...I would just call it a late 50's/early 60's WFL kit.

Value? $0 - $100 (lugs, rims and various parts)

I'm sure they still sound good, though.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 18 years ago

Thanks O-LUGS thats a great help. The dealer wants $550 approx for them. I thought it was too much. Thanks again. Steve.

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here