Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

WFL Classic snare strainer restoration question

I recently bought a late 50's WFL kit which included a 5.5x14 classic snare. I don't know the exact year of the kit as the interior of the shells have all been painted white at some stage. The strainer on the snare had been replaced, I imagine early on as the replacement strainer looks to be 50s and is similar to a P-83 (holes down the bottom) but with three attachment points (two at the top and one below), none of which line up with the fixing points of the original strainer. I mistakenly bought a P83 strainer thinking that was what I needed but now find that the original fixing points are much closer together (35mm) which, based on my research, would indicate the strainer was a P-87 like this:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ludwig-WFL-50s-60s-Vintage-P87-Buddy-Rich-Super-Classic-Snare-Drum-Strainer/193031154722?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

The butt plate is the original WFL branded P-32 style.

My question is, should I:

a) Leave the current strainer as is. It's serviceable although the action is very light

b) Buy a P-87 strainer (perhaps the one EBay above), although I understand replacement snare wires are very hard to find, but I'm not sure if that's the case when you have the P-32 style butt plate rather than the P-34

c) Buy a new strainer that has adjustable hole spacing such as that produced by Inde drums, or the Dunnett R4 and fit it to the holes for the original strainer, leaving the butt plate as is?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts

3 attachments
Posted on 5 years ago

A more direct question might be, given the 35 mm spacing of the original fixings (shown in the attached photo), do people think that the original strainer would likely have been a WFL P-87 like the one in the Ebay link in my original post?

Posted on 5 years ago

So what is on there now is a Slingerland 3 point?

Unless you're a WFL purist, i'd leave it alone. The damage (ie mod) has already been done, and the mix of brands is now part of its history. At least now, the next owner can clearly see what has happened. If you go back to the P87, they'll be left wandering 'now why are there three extra holes here'? Plus the P87 isn't all that great of a throw either.

I have a beautiful WFL complete BR superclassic kit in gold sparkle, and the only mod on it is the cymbal mount on the bass. When I bought the drums, a Slingerland mount was there. But clearly a Rogers swivo once resided there. In my anal-ness, I had to find an original WFL mount and L-arm to put back on to 'make it right'. Guess what - that WFL mount can't hold the weight of a ride, and the extra holes still show.

John/Levelpebble

Tama Superstar 81 Aqua bop
Rogers Cleveland BDP (x2), Silver bop, Champagne, Black/Gold Duco, WMP, Blue sparkle; Dayton Red Onyx;
Camco Oaklawn 12 14 20 5x14 Tuxedo WMP
LW 59 SC Blue Sparkle, WMP
WFL Gold Sparkle SC, WMP Compacto
Gretsch 49/50 Broadkaster WMP
Fibes Copper Forte
Remo MasterEdge Bop, Gold Crown, Mondo
Slingerland Conway Black Satin
70's MIJ Del Ray, my first and fav ok I'm lying here
Way Too Many Snares, She Says
Posted on 5 years ago

I have a 1961 Super Classic snare drum with P87 strainer and P32 butt. Has the original snare wires, too! Finding wires are a near impossibility! I do have a set of NOS Puresound PLS1416 wires for this drum! Other members have found ways to modify other wires to work with this drum. Bottom line? Leave your drum the way it is and enjoy it!

-Mark

1 attachments
Posted on 5 years ago

Thanks John,

That’s helpful. This is my first vintage kit and I could only afford a player which has had a few mods (including the original WFL cymbal L arm mount being swapped out for the later model Ludwig, which I imagine works whole lot better than the original).

My inclination was, as you say, to ‘make it right’ but I agree with you that the mod is an honest part of the drum’s history and, particularly given it was probably fairly early in in the life of the drum, best left as is.

Thanks for helping me figure that out.

Dave

Posted on 5 years ago

Thanks Mark for confirming that the snare wires are very difficult to source for that strainer/butt combination. I’m going to take your and John’s advice and leave things as they are.

Out of curiosity can anyone confirm that the current strainer is a Slingerland 3-point? I took a look at images online and my strainer certainly appears similar but not the same as any of the models I found.

Thanks,

David

Posted on 5 years ago
Action Another action Something else here