Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

WFL Black & White Duco Drums ?

Last year I bought a 9X13 WFL duco tom off ebay - see attached pics. It seemed a virgin drum from the Chicago area when I received it - untouched with original calf heads and a red ink stamp of Aug 1957. I bought it to use temporarily with another incomplete kit I was working on but wanted to play for some upcoming gigs. I loved the drum and in the back of my mind hoped I could eventually find a matching BD and FT.

I've been poking around the web a bit looking awhile now for some color matches including here, ebay, and googled duco drum pics. I have not seen another drum with this white and black color scheme. I know from reading at this forum there are some one offs out there that were made special order by Ludwig - maybe that's what I've got here ?

Has anybody out there seen another WFL duco drum in this black and white color scheme ? Any comments or info greatly appreciated !

Thanks !

Drum Doug

2 attachments
Posted on 9 years ago

Doug, this paint scheme is a first for me. But all looks correct, the grommet looks correct from the oustside. How about the inside has it been tampered with ?

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 9 years ago

No - I think it is an untouched virgin WFL drum.

See attached pics.

Note the red ink date in upper left of inside shell pic

Thanks for your comments !

Doug

2 attachments
Posted on 9 years ago

Beautiful drum! So beautiful it occurs to me you only need shells that are as cool, not necessarily that match - a jellybean kit where each drum is so awesome they don't need to match!

Just a thought...

Mitch

Posted on 9 years ago

What you have there is original (the grommet is untouched,) and the only one of its kind that I have ever seen. I hope Mike Layton sees this and chimes in. Mike would know if Ludwig ever offered black & white DUCO as a finish. I've never seen it before. If it wasn't for the grommet photo, I'd argue with you all day that it was repainted at some point. Apparently not... oddball, one-of-a-kind drum you have there.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 9 years ago

Wow, nice find!

Bob

Posted on 9 years ago

Can I have a clear, close-up shot of the keystone badge please?

I wanna see if there is any black paint on it anywhere.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 9 years ago

I like white drums........i like black drums.......

I love this drum!

"Failing to prepare, is preparing to fail". John Wooden

Blaemire / Jenkins-Martin drums.

http://www.jenkinsmartindrums.com/
Posted on 9 years ago

Doug it looks legit grommet wise, the paint has the crazing that would be correct for the time frame.

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 9 years ago

Per John's request I'v tried to attach a couple of close ups of the keystone badge. My mickey mouse camera does not seem to have a very good macro mode for a close up - this was the best I could do.

There is a small dark spot on the edge of the badge at about the 4 o'clock position. It could be black paint - but it could be some tarnishing or some other foreign goop - I can't really tell. The paint on the drum does have that crazing all over and looks like its been on there 50 + years - it sure looks legit to me.

Thanks for all the info and comments. It's sounding like I'm not going to have any luck finding a matching BD and FT. I really like Mitch's jelly bean suggestion - I may decide to go that route.

Doug

2 attachments
Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here