Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

WFL Bass drum original or repair?

I bought this at a swap meet with calf heads and took them off and saw this after wondering what I saw on the bottom. First picture is the inside of the bass drum, the second is the bottom outside. Any help would be appreciated. Also wondering if anyone can tell me what kind of tom that is in the 3rd picture, no badge and I've never seen lugs like these before.

Backbeatkeeper

[IMG][IMG]http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/5666/insidewflbassdrumry3.th.jpg[/IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][IMG]http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/314/bottomwfldrumej3.th.jpg[/IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][IMG]http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/8145/unknownwmptomrg3.th.jpg[/IMG][/IMG]

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 17 years ago

The Bass Drum Was Not Repaired By Ludwig. Definitly A Home Made Job. The Tom Has The Hard To Find Early 40's Stamped Sheet Metal Lug Used About The Time Of The Zephyr.

Posted on 17 years ago

I'm assuming that the tom is also WFL?? And the bass drum, what's odd is that the piece of wood that is bolted on is the same color and what looks like the same age as the rest of the drum...I am wondering if it was made that way??

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 17 years ago

Ludwig would have never attached the bolts. I have a 30's Slingerland BD that was factory repaired with sections of another BD. The wrap is in one piece throughout and goes over the bearing edges. It has the factory grommet in place as well. No funny business.

Yes, your tom is also a WFL.

Posted on 17 years ago

Thanks for the help, I think I might just auction it off. It looks like too much for me to try to repair. As far as the wrap goes, I had a dealing with a Slingerland tom that I took off the old wrap and found it intertwined with the plys of the drum. Had to do a little repair after that one and I have found an excellent wood filler that works very well and is very sturdy. You would never know that the drum has filler on it when it is wrapped, and the acoustics of the drum held up just as well.

Posted on 17 years ago

Id be interested in it if you want to sell it backbeat. D' Drummer

Harrison
Posted on 17 years ago

What are you interested in?? Both of them, or just one individually?

Posted on 17 years ago

I am interested in the tom. Do you have any more pictures of it. email me so we can talk abot it more. my email is [email]bentstraw@gmail.com[/email]

cheers

Harrison

Harrison
Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here