Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

WFL 8x15 Mahogany Snare, worth fixing?

Hey all, I'm new here, but I recently got a steal of a deal on some drums and the snare's pretty beat, but I don't mind doing some work to make it playable. By no means do i expect this fella to be like new or of a high value. I just like the vintage. If I could find a replacement shell, I'd snag it, but for now, any tips on fixing something this busted? Here's the worst of it. It's where the throws attach:

1 attachments
143.8 kB
Posted on 10 years ago

FWIW, this thing is 100% original, heads and all. Just beat.

Posted on 10 years ago

Take it apart, sand it down, fill the wholes, fix the damage, sand once again, paint/laquer - done.

Posted on 10 years ago

I have a drum exactly like yours with the exact same damage. Mine also has a 2"x3" hole cut in the shell on the opposite side. I'm also looking for repair suggestions.

Posted on 10 years ago

must be something about these getting dropped on the strainer...

Gerald-I had already posted this on another forum, but will post mine again in case it helps..mine was already repaired when I got it. it was pushed in at the strainer. has an interior repair...

mike

Posted on 10 years ago

Thanks for the info Mike. Still doing a lot of thinking about what I want to do with it.

Posted on 10 years ago

When you do the repairs for the strainer end, I would suggest mounting the strainer on the Butt end and the butt end where the strainer was. For strength reasons while using it.

You know what I mean ?

You can`t move the beds but you can swap sides.

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 10 years ago

That is a very clever idea! I would have suggested a narrow,thin curved steel plate in and out to sandwich the smashed part and rebolt the strainer in it's original spot.

Posted on 10 years ago

Thanks for all the advice, I'm well into the project now, here's a couple of shots of the metal work and the raw drum/hole. I PM'ed Jeff about his particular stain/level/varnish choices and hope he'll share a few secrets, that kit he veneered and finished looks incredible...

Posted on 10 years ago

thought i'd share a few more shots of it. one in progress with the satin poly and then a few of it finished and sitting with the Eames kit. i'm totally just highlighting the good 'side' of the drum, the fix is definitely noticeable, but this drum is a player and not a collector at this point and man it sounds absolutely huge. 8x15 is nuts, but surprisingly focused. so happy i did this!

Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here