Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

WFL 6.5 X 15 Snare project

From bbeyer

I thought a 15 would be cool too when I started this project.. but the sound of this thing is strange.. just really big and woody, no matter how tight you crank the heads. I'm still gonna hang on to it, you never can have enough snares right? BTW it started life as a 15x10 parade snare (or maybe 15x12".. cant remember) which i cut down to 8" deep and re-glued the factory reinforcement hoop into, then shaped the bearing edge by hand. still need to do a wrap job on it but i cant decide on what color.. ill probably do some kinda glass glitterhttp://entertainment.webshots.com/album/504185652XcdawT?start=12

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Hecka nice job....that must'a taken some patience...looks like you segmented a section of it, yes ?

I think the nature of these beasts are to be BIG and WOODY. I don't think they will ever be snappy and dry sounding snares. I mean, 3-plys with wide bearing edges...it's almost a foregone conclusion you are gonna hear wood and resonance....

When I come across some vintage snares where I wanna cut back on that sorta timbre....I usually use a Powerstroke 3 coated head; they tend to dry out the sound on vintage snares the most, IMHO.

beyond that, the next step is to recut the edge...take away some of the surface area which contacts the head. Slingys and Luddys had tons of surface area contacting the head edges back in the '50's-60's....that's what gave their drums their signature sounds. But by sharpening the edges a bit, there will be less vibrational transferrence from head to shell; and the head will vibrate more...thus reducing the woody quality to the tone.

Word of caution...BEFORE you rewrap in glitter, check the play in the heads against the shell. Do you have enough room for the wrap to fit without causing head-fit problems ? Glitter, as you probably know, is the thickest of wraps...and the older the drums, the more likely to encounter fit problems....

[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

From Jaye

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Hecka nice job....that must'a taken some patience...looks like you segmented a section of it, yes ?I think the nature of these beasts are to be BIG and WOODY. I don't think they will ever be snappy and dry sounding snares. I mean, 3-plys with wide bearing edges...it's almost a foregone conclusion you are gonna hear wood and resonance....When I come across some vintage snares where I wanna cut back on that sorta timbre....I usually use a Powerstroke 3 coated head; they tend to dry out the sound on vintage snares the most, IMHO.beyond that, the next step is to recut the edge...take away some of the surface area which contacts the head. Slingys and Luddys had tons of surface area contacting the head edges back in the '50's-60's....that's what gave their drums their signature sounds. But by sharpening the edges a bit, there will be less vibrational transferrence from head to shell; and the head will vibrate more...thus reducing the woody quality to the tone.Word of caution...BEFORE you rewrap in glitter, check the play in the heads against the shell. Do you have enough room for the wrap to fit without causing head-fit problems ? Glitter, as you probably know, is the thickest of wraps...and the older the drums, the more likely to encounter fit problems....[/COLOR]

Well it had a two-tone glitter wrap on it when it was still a parade drum.. i think it was silver with a red stripe in the center.

the shell shortening wasnt that bad.. i did it with hardly any tools. the only cutting device i had was a sawzall. (!!) i cut the shell down to a rough size, then figured out how deep i wanted it, then positioned the upper re-ring which was removed carefully before all this.. and then shaved down the shell to match the height of the re-ring. i made sure the re-ring was set in there evenly all the way around, and then just glued and clamped the ring in there, sanded the edge down, and voila! the inner bearing edge was already present on the re-ring so all i had to do was shape the outer edge with a plane and sandpaper

Posted on 15 years ago

Nice work on the parade snare! Can't wait to see the new wrap on it...

Kelly

"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing..."
Posted on 15 years ago

Jaye, I think that he didn't segment the shell, it just looks that way because it had two-tone wrap on it.

Nice job, agreed.

Posted on 15 years ago

I think I'm going to go with the vintage WMP.

Kelly

Posted on 15 years ago

Can't go wrong with a classic. I like that stuff, too. It really looks aged.

Posted on 15 years ago

Ninefingers,

Yes, I really want to keep the vintage appeal of this snare. Not too many 15 X 6.5 early 50's factory snares out there. Marching snares are generally 15" but at least 10" deep.

kelly

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here