Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Wfl 18" floor tom rehab.

I was able to acquire this tom for my good friend and forum member Jaghog in Chicago I live in North Carolina, The tom was in fair condition, It had missing parts, very yellowed WMP wrap, and a ton of different colored scuffs on it .

So I have gone the wet sanding route on this one on the wrap, Simply due to the sever yellowing, especially on the back panel where the 3 wrap seams join. The wrap color had dulled badly.

I started with 220 grit. then to 320 grit, then to 600 grit. I will end up with a 1200 grit, then apply a clear coat to the wrap. I have a boat load of man hours already in the tom.

all the hardware has been heavily detailed and cleaned. I used barkeepers friend and a Dawn detergent slurry to do the start up cleaning, then finished up with groove juice for the final cleaning,

Then I have a steel wool and simichrome metal polish. I have access to a steel wool that not any of you can get or probably even seen before, from a top furniture company, They supply the white house with furniture. the steel wool is 600 grit super fine it looks like cotton. I will post a lot of pics of this as it finally concludes.

The first pics are the tom shell after stripping the hardware off of it.

5 attachments
Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 9 years ago

Original condition continued,

5 attachments
Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 9 years ago

This is the hardware original condition before cleaning/detailing pics.

Posted on 9 years ago

These pics are of the BKF/ Dawn slurry and groove juice cleaning.

4 attachments
Posted on 9 years ago

This pic group is the final cleaning with simichrome metal polish and the 600 grit steel wool I've already mentioned in this thread.

5 attachments
Posted on 9 years ago

This pic group is the final cleaning with simichrome metal polish and the 600 grit steel wool I've already mentioned in this thread. 2nd pic group.

4 attachments
Posted on 9 years ago

This pic group is of the WMP tom shell after weeks of sanding from 220/320/600 grit wet sanding. The wrap is a lot whiter than it appears in the photos, Bad Lighting.

5 attachments
Posted on 9 years ago

Cool project Mark. That hardware looks very nice.

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 9 years ago

From jccabinets

Cool project Mark. That hardware looks very nice.

Jeff thanks. It has a lot of man hours in it already. Many more to come !

Posted on 9 years ago

Man o man mark I can't believe it's the same drum great job

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here