Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.46555%

WFL - 12/14/20 or 12/14/18

Did WFL ever make any sizes other than 13/16/22?

It seems impossible to find 12/14/20 . It seems like they would have, given that they were around when hard bop was at it's peak, and many jazz drummers were using the smaller sizes.

It also just makes sense that they had more than 1 drum set configuration, but I have never seen them.

http://www.pkdrums.net
Posted on 16 years ago

They really did not make jazz sets in the 50's. They had 20,12 sizes but I don't think the 14x14 came around until 1959 or something like that. The Ludwig jazzette seems to be Ludwigs first true jazz set with the 12x18,12,14 made for Roy Haynes. I think the jazzette appeared around 1966. I don't know why WFL did not make jazz sized drums then.

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 16 years ago

I think your only option would be to find a trashed 18" floor tom and cut it down. Don't do that to one in good shape though! :)

You could then do a marching snare conversion for a floor tom.

This is all assuming that you really want original WFL shells...

You could make a clone or replica kit using the new Keller 3-ply shells as your starting point.

:::Ryan B
Posted on 16 years ago

Where do you get the three ply shells, I need a couple.

Posted on 16 years ago

I'm not exactly sure, but I know they're pricey. I'm sure a web search would point you in the right direction.

:::Ryan B
Posted on 16 years ago

There is a transition badged downbeat sized kit on ebay.

Posted on 16 years ago

I looked for the three ply shells, all I could come up with is the keller vintage. Six ply. Three plys of mahogany or maple with three plys of poplar. Has anyone tried them?

Posted on 16 years ago

lucky,I had an 8x12 and a 14x14,the 8x12 was out of round just slightly but took to high tunings,the 14 rumbled great at any tuning.

I think the 12 would have been fine if it was round.

Loved the sound but just not 50 yr.old shells!

So I bought some orphan WFL's that sing w/tone!

Pat

Posted on 16 years ago

I guess its that glue thing, the more plys, the more glue. They may be using the same materials but there is nothing like a three ply shell. Just mt two cents!

Posted on 16 years ago

Hey guys.. just wanted to let you know that we just got a 12/14/20 WFL in the shop. Black cortex, good shape, all original. It's pretty hot. I'm about to put it up on our website (www.chicagodrumexchange.com). I also just posted a pic on our Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/chicagodrumexchange). Give me a call if you have any questions about it. 773 525 7773.

Ryan

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here