Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

Wet sanding black diamond pearl wrap

Can anyone share their experience wet sanding black diamond pearl (Ludwig) wrap to brighten the finish?

I used Novus 3-2-1 but the wrap is still not back to its original sheen as evidenced by how the wrap looks under the lugs.

Thanks!

Posted on 3 years ago

I haven’t sanded BDP, but did sand sky blue pearl with pretty good results. The color change was obvious, and the sheen was pretty close to original. The finer your sanding medium, the glossier the potential is. I started with 600 grit wet/dry paper and finished with 1500. After that, I used a grey nonwoven pad, followed by a white nonwoven pad. These pads are available at woodworking stores. After that, Novus 2 VERY LIGHTLY, then Novus 1.

Josh

Posted on 3 years ago

I should say that I didn’t go straight from 600 to 1500 grit. I used 600, 1000, 1200, then 1500.

Josh

Posted on 3 years ago

Thanks for the help. I’ll give it a shot.

Posted on 3 years ago

I have done the same on WMP and it helped to remove the yellowing and bring the gloss back

No Guru - I just love collecting & learning about vintage drums!

Some of my favorites from the kits in the collection
58 WFL New Yorker Blue Sparkle
67 Ludwig Hollywood Red Psychedelic
69 Ludwig Standard Red Ruby Strata
70's Ludwig BOP "Ringo" Kit

A few of my favorite snares
20's Leedy Black Elite
51 Leedy & Ludwig Knob Tension
58 WFL Buddy Rich Classic Blue Sparkle
63 Walberg & Auge Sea Blue Agave Green Pearl
66 Leedy Shelly Manne Blue Agate Pearl
Posted on 3 years ago

This restorer collector’s

bdp , came out like new , it was un real , but he really took his time and yes 600 1000 1500 2000 then 2500 cut buff compound and final buff with what ever your preference and a glaze coat guarantee like new

but to get rid of yellowhaze, that is the only way!

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 3 years ago

Thanks! I’ll start out with my 65 Jazz Festival and see where it goes. Can you make some recommendations on buff compound and glaze coat?

Posted on 3 years ago

From jaghog

This restorer collector’s bdp , came out like new , it was un real , but he really took his time and yes 600 1000 1500 2000 then 2500 cut buff compound and final buff with what ever your preference and a glaze coat guarantee like new but to get rid of yellowhaze, that is the only way!

I finally started wet sanding my 65 Jazz Festival BDP snare drum. I started with a 400 paper and it looks like it’s working. Can anyone suggest a brand of cut buff compound, final buff, and glaze coat to use to get the shine back?

Thanks!

Posted on 3 years ago

I wet sanded a Silver Glitter MIJ kit a while back with great results. I used a 3M Headlight Restorer kit. It came with the sandpaper, pads and the "sandpaper holder" that you put in a drill. I just used a spray bottle full of water. I did the whole drumkit and went through maybe 3 or 4 of the headlight restorer kits (they are meant for small areas like headlights, not 22" bass drums, hence they wear out), but it worked very well.

I finished it up with Novus 2 and 1. You can also use Turtle Wax; it works great on wrap!

Posted on 3 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I’ve been sanding yesterday and today. I just finished with the 1500 grit. I am planning to finish with Novus 2 and then Novus 1.

Posted on 3 years ago
Action Another action Something else here