Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

Wet sanding between stain coats ?

Started staining my Yamaha bass drum hoops and results are looking good. I've read mixed reviews about wet sanding between coats to raise the wood grain and end up with a nice satin finish, which is what i'm going for. From what i've read, it depends on the type of wood you're working with. I've done stain and wet sand between coats before on my vintage Leedy and Ludwig Reliance model snare drum with awesome results, so i'm thinking i may do the same with the bass drum hoops.

On the snare drum, I only did 2 coats of stain, wet sanding between coats and then finishing off with extremely fine grit sand paper, and then 2 coats of lacquer. Results were great..

If anyone can give me some feedback i'd appreciate it, just as an alternative to possibly making it simple, or if i'm making a mistake in doing so with the type of wood that the Yamaha hoops are made from..

I believe the Yamaha Tour series drums were birch and mahogany ?HmmmmHmmmm

Posted on 8 years ago

I think those were birch/mahogany (luan). The lighter wood is the birch and probably the inner and outermost plies. The darker core wood is the luan.

I use a very different technique than you are using, but if you are "sand to" between stain coats (is this a stain with poly mix?) then I suggest fine (00) steel wool dry rather than wet sanding.

Once you apply the hard finish (satin clear I guess in your case) apply two wet double coats, let cure and block that flat. Use a sanding block and 320 wet (a drop of dish soap in a pie pan of water is what I use). If you burn through sanding you need to add more mid coat and re-sand until it is flat and some clear remains on all surfaces. Then apply the final coat, which you block with 400, 600, and 1500 if going for a mirror finish (maybe 2000 if it is black piano lacquer) and maybe start with 600 or 800 if you have a ice gun laying it down smooth. Then buff the finish with a power wheel and the appropriate compound. I use a solid bar on a fixed bench mount wheel but have also used a variety of PPG marketed automotive products on that wheel as well as with a hand buffer.

If you want the satin look, and I believe you do, after the first hard coat wet sanding, apply a full wet final coat and let it flow out. Done. (Assuming you didn't sand through)

What is important is to make sure the surface is flat. Even with a satin clear you will see imperfections if they are not leveled out with the blocking process.

That is a thousand dollar finish.

Have fun!

Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 8 years ago

On staining: Don't know what exactly you mean with that and what you stain with.

In case of water based stain or alcohol based stain (both can raise grain, water a lot more than alcohol): I try to reduce the sanding in between to as little as possible, and I try to get a stain that will colour the piece in one go. Here's how i do it:

I sand the piece to 180 (finer is unnessecary). Then I make it wet with a brush and clear water. Let dry. Grain is raised. Sand it down with 240. Wet again, grain raised, sand down. Repeat until the grain doesn't raise any more. In the meanwhile I've done tests until I found a stain that can do the trick in one time. I apply this stain and let dry. When dry, I feel if there a some grain standing up. I sand them down carefullym making sure I don't make the colour lighter in that spot (most of the time though there are no grains standing up). Then there's loads of possibilities. I mostly apply two layers of mixture of linseed oil/terpentine/siccatief followed by two coats of shellac, followed bij several coats of pu-laquer. Only the pu-laquer I sand in between to get a perfect smooth surface.

Using stains that cover instead of penetrate, and sanding in between, has a very high risk of getting un even results.

Nitro-stain is very easy; penetrates but does not raise grain. Expensive though.

Vintage and custom drum projects:
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...2305272732%3A6
Posted on 8 years ago

Thanks for all your advice and help guys.. I will do my best to make these hoops look decent..;)

Posted on 8 years ago

basic wood refinishing 101, strip to bare wood, add oil stain prefer gel stain let dry , add shellac seal coat ,let dry , sand or steel wool med, then finish with hand rubbed poly satin, buff to great sheen good luck gary

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here