Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

Wet sand for finishing ?

Just finished the 5th coat of paint on my vintage Stewart bass drum, and it's looking good. I know that for finishing wood usually requires a very fine grit sand paper, but was wondering if wet sanding would be a good idea ?

Please forgive the ignorance in this matter. I've already done wet sanding on my vintage Leedy and Ludwig snare drum with awesome results, but i have my doubts about doing it on a painted drum. Suggestions ??

All thoughts are appreciated !

Cheers,

Rob

Posted on 7 years ago

I'm here to ask for a pic. :D

-Doug

late 60s Ludwig Standard kit (blue strata)
late 60s Star kit (red satin)
Tama Rockstar Custom
a few snares ...
Posted on 7 years ago

You will need a clear coat over the paint.

When you clear coat and have a couple of coats on,

you can wet sand the final coats with just a little bit of water and 600-1000 grit paper. Just keep any liquid from entering unfinished wood.

Those first coats of clear should give you some protection from moisture.

BLAEMIRE DRUMS
Thanks to Mr. Jerry Jenkins
Posted on 7 years ago

Agree with Greenglassdrum, but I use much more than a little bit of water...

Posted on 7 years ago

If it's lacquer

It can be rubbed out to 2000 grit as soon as dry

If oil base after 30 day cure , it too can b rubbed out no clear needed

Waterborne can also be rubbed out after 2 weeks cure time but clear recommended

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 7 years ago

Gary is right you can rub out the paint finish with 2000 paper, but clear coats (2) is the best way to go for durability. You'd be surprised how dings are absorbed by the clearcoats that never reach the paint job underneath. The clear coats are there for protection of the finish that you put so much hard work into. You can go either way, but after all that work I would want to protect the finish with clear coats.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 7 years ago

From Purdie Shuffle

Gary is right you can rub out the paint finish with 2000 paper, but clear coats (2) is the best way to go for durability. You'd be surprised how dings are absorbed by the clearcoats that never reach the paint job underneath. The clear coats are there for protection of the finish that you put so much hard work into. You can go either way, but after all that work I would want to protect the finish with clear coats.John

Hi John,

So what you and Gary are saying is-- no direct wet sanding on the paint job, but i should clear coat first (2x) and then finish with 2000 grit, dry ? I'm using a satin lacquer interior varnish for wood finishing which i've used before with nice results..

Posted on 7 years ago

If your using satin no need to wet sand just have a good dust free environment and done , gloss is what you would use to

get a very polished look by wet sanding and buffing with compounds, when I use wood lacquer the steps are, sanding sealer (dry sand 220) , finished with varnish and done of course a stain first if that's what your doing....

Gary

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 7 years ago

I wish I could be of help but I just dont use the products you are using. In my system I use everyday I sand bare wood to 180. Then 320 between lacquer coats. I was taught ( from finishing seminars) that you dont want to use super fine grits between coats because you are basically polishing the surface too much which can cause adhesion problems. But like I say that is using my products. These guys have been doing this forever so take their advice and run with it. Just kinda wanted to explain why I dont chime in on these finishing topics too often,

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 7 years ago

Thanks to all of you for the great advice.. I will go about the finishing process as best i can,

taking everyone's advice for best results.

Cheers,

Rob

Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here