Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Westbury oddity

Have you ever seen a 12&16"with 5 lugs per side?..My friend found a curb side kit with this strange config.He cleaned them,i tuned them and they sound great.There are no holes to suggest funny business,so im asking the pros here??Eye Ball

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 14 years ago

Try posting some pictures.

Price wise, i'm not 100%, maybe a few hundred.

Date? I'd need to see a picture.

Posted on 14 years ago

5 lugs a side is seen on the cheapest Pacific sets too... it's the minimum number of lugs they can get away with... LOL.

Posted on 14 years ago

These are way below entry level kits. Current Chinese or Taiwanese. They can actually sound pretty OK. It's the new wave of "MIJ", only MIA (Asia). They will rust very badly if you even think about moisture in the air. It pays to keep these hoops in good, clean condition as they are prone to rust. Once they do, they are very hard to clean and since they are 1.6mm hoops, with 5 lugs, they are almost impossible to replace. I have had a 16" floor tom that I turned into a 16x10 bass, and it worked out perfectly. A friend/local drummer called me in a panic one day "I need a jungle kit sized bass, in a 5 lug cinfig..." No problemo mon fraer...I have no idea why he insisted he needed a 5 lug drum, but it worked out to be perfect. I re-built it for him in a pinch and the router table shifted ever so slightly, causing a small gouge on the batter side and it actually made it easy to tune. The fastest tune up he ever had...? Anyway, they are what they are, el-cheapos! But free is always the best way to get cheapo drums, no matter where they come from.

Many low end, low dollar kits have these 5 lug set uos, it is cheaper the fewer parts you use.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

Even on a 16"floor??...I tuned the 6 lug snare and it sounded quite good,for what it is...........Is that why Gretsch has a 5 lug 12"tom,to save money?..hahaha.Like John said,a free kit with all its parts is hard to fathom when its put out in the garbage.

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 14 years ago

From wayne

Even on a 16"floor??...I tuned the 6 lug snare and it sounded quite good,for what it is...........Is that why Gretsch has a 5 lug 12"tom,to save money?..hahaha.Like John said,a free kit with all its parts is hard to fathom when its put out in the garbage.

Yup...it was a 16" tom and all others have 5 lugs....

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

These 5 lug 16"s started back in the mid 60s made by pearl and star these were M/I/J..The same shells you would fine with 8 lugs 3 ply with rings and 4 to6 ply with-out rings...many names were used on these sets.The funny thing is that the bass drum would have 6 lugs,the 13"s would have 5 lugs but the 12"s would have 4 lugs,snare would have 6 lugs and sometimes would have 5 lugs.....Still today you can fine the new lower end drums with 5 lugs on the toms,6 lugs on the snare and bass...Mikey

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here