Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Welch Tuning System

Anyone seen these drums?

[IMG]https://static.wixstatic.com/media/b47582_79f322631feb45588ec98fa68f9f045b~mv2.jpg/v1/fill/w_640,h_800,al_c,q_85,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01,enc_auto/b47582_79f322631feb45588ec98fa68f9f045b~mv2.jpg[/IMG]

My opinion is that this system is a really fancy/expensive way of limiting the tuning range of a more conventional tuning system. It is a single tension system -meaning that the top and bottom has cannot be tensioned independently.

It's a neat mechanical system. I'll give it that much. I have always admired unusual mechanical devices just for the sake of seeing gears and knobs moving! But, I don't believe this is an improvement on conventional designs in terms of practicality. I mean, why not just make some really nice single tension t-rods and claws and a fancy shell? It would be the same effect and likely be a lot easier to deal with. Those cables and everything are bound to scratch something!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 2 years ago

Wow! In spite of the limited tuning range, that is one cool drum!

-Mark

Posted on 2 years ago

I agree. It looks really cool. I imagine that on a snare drum, the tuning effect is going to be less significant than it would be on a tom tom -since the snare mechanism will stop the resonance, anyway.

Posted on 2 years ago

Even though there is a minimum of attachment points on the shell, there is still a lot of mass, overall. I listened to the drums on a video and they don't sound as if this system has improved any characteristics of the resonance or anything. In fact, I thought they sounded kind of boxy, if anything.

Years ago, there was another company with a system like this....Paige Drums, if I remember correctly. Maybe this is a remake of that system?

I tend to find myself attracted to drums that incorporate unusual tuning systems. Sometimes, the ideas are well-meaning, but fail in the practical sense. My Arbiter drums, for example...The idea works fine...the drums sound great...but it just isn't practical. If one, little lock washer goes missing, then the drum is rendered useless. With a conventional, lugged drum, you can still use the drum even if one of the lugs falls off.

Why try to fix something that isn't broken, then? I guess the answer to that would be, to do it just for the sake of trying a new idea. In that sense, I love these impractical designs! I look at collecting in (maybe) a similar way to Jay Leno and his car collection. He has all kinds of cars and all kinds of engine designs -even steam engines! Not all of them are practical, either....but they are interesting to look at and consider.

The Welch Tuning System just really isn't a good idea because it has all the limitations of a single tension tuning system.....AND, unlike a single-tension system, there IS an attachment point on the shell -which anchors the shell and negates the "free-floating" aspect of a single tension system. It's like the worst of both worlds!

If one wanted to have a true free floating shell, and was willing to accept the tuning limitations, then a drum could be designed with high quality shell and components, that might sound really great.

The Welch Tuning System ends up being a cool looking drum with a neat knob to turn.

Posted on 2 years ago

O-Lugs!

I think you've encapsulated the idea of developing new strategies perfectly! Why not try new things just because it is possible. I too am mesmerized by my Arbiters, but I really don't play out with them. The idea is what intrigues me. Well said, sir!

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 2 years ago
Action Another action Something else here