Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.85804%

Waxing or ax/polish bearing edge??

A few people on the forums talk about waxing or polishing the drum edges. Anyone have an opinion about that. What would the purpose be for doing so?

Thanks,

Harry

Ludwig Classic Maple, (Quilted African Makore'), 16x22, 8x12, 9x13, 14x14, 16x16, 6.5x14 n/maple and 100th anniversary 6.5x14 Supra
Daughter's Ludwig (jellybean) kit
"70" 14X22 silver sparkle, "67" 5x14 supra, "67" 9x13 blue sparkle, "09" 16x16 Legacy green sparkle
Posted on 15 years ago

Hey,

Long time fan...first time caller.

I use a nice soft edge wax for smoothing the edges and ensuring there are no wood hairs that naturally occur when wood is subjected to the multiple vibrations and abuse we drummers put them through. These edges are generally raw and sanded. Under a sharp lens, you can see that it is seriously rough even though fine sanded. It looks a bit like a micro-forest under the lens. The wax 'lays' it down and keeps it smooth which reduces the surface area for the drum head. I realize we are speaking of minute differences, but it works and does make a difference. I use a very fine cloth material to apply said wax.

That's my take, anyway.

Hey, can you play "Drive" by The Cars?

Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks for the info!!

Harry

Ludwig Classic Maple, (Quilted African Makore'), 16x22, 8x12, 9x13, 14x14, 16x16, 6.5x14 n/maple and 100th anniversary 6.5x14 Supra
Daughter's Ludwig (jellybean) kit
"70" 14X22 silver sparkle, "67" 5x14 supra, "67" 9x13 blue sparkle, "09" 16x16 Legacy green sparkle
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]I agree w/ mcj. When I finish edges, I bring the edges sanded down to 220 grit sanding, then usually use tung oil. I have heard carnuba (pure, not mixed w/ otehr additives) also works well. beeswax was used for quite a long time, although the recent gripe on it is its stickiness.

You certainly don't have to....but it doesn't hurt.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

I have used a paraffin wax candle and lightly ran it along the outside edge (and about 1/8" of the outer shell) to help prevent the heads from binding. Some vintage drums' shells were built to dimension and THEN wrapped. This resulted in the heads sometimes fitting VERY tightly and that made it hard to tune the drums properly. The paraffin acts like a lubricant but isn't liquid and won't penetrate the wood grain. It worked pretty well!Burger Kin I've never used any kind of polish or liquid wax, though.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

From mcjnic

Hey,Long time fan...first time caller.Hey, can you play "Drive" by The Cars?

Who's gonna drive you home.....tonight.......who's gonna........

Sorry....

Eye Ball

Posted on 15 years ago

You can use the wax they sell for canning products.....its a natural wax and is pretty much what Ludwig uses at the factory.....

Posted on 15 years ago

Hi,

To clarify, canning wax is parrafin generally, which is an oil based product. Lots of people use it on their edges. I use beeswax (because I have a bunch of old beeswax candles. ) Either do a nice job.

Some suggest that this is one of those "habits/holdovers" from the days before plastic heads, and doubt the utility of waxing a well done bearing edge.

I use the wax, avoid black cats, and don't walk under ladders.

Patrick

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here