Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.86430%

Water damage

I picked up a cheap sling bass drum locally with some what appears to be water damage, Its not too bad, looks like a small section on the inside of the shell, where the wood has bubbled some what. is their anything I can do, or just put on new heads and leave it. I thought of sanding it but figured that would make it worse.

speaking of water damage, has anyone had a basement flood when your drums were down there > what do you do?

Lots of Slingerland drums
70's Pearl Fiberglass Ivory
Posted on 12 years ago

Are there any splits in the bubbles? If there was a way you could get some glue in there and block clamp the area that might work. I see guys use a syringe with glue to repair things like that. I have a small area on the inside my floor tom that split and bubbled up. I'm going to glue it back down. I've heard guys say to put a wet rag on the area for a while to get some moisture back in the wood so it's more plyable.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 12 years ago

That sounds like it might work, one thing, what type of glue would work in a syringe>? I would have to be some really thin material. wood glue for sure would not work. thanks for the tip that was great help!!!!!

Lots of Slingerland drums
70's Pearl Fiberglass Ivory
Posted on 12 years ago

You can mix a little water with the glue to thin it out. Try some test pieces to see if there's a bond issue. Normally there is not. You can also put some glue is a small plastic cup and put it in hot water to see how far it thins when it warms up. Might get warm enough to be useable as is? Little trial and error. Gorilla glue is on the thin side and might work as is.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 12 years ago

I dealt with the same issue on a kick I'm using for a practice kit. It had a huge bubble in the ply. I cut the the bubble enough that lift and apply glue (wish I had just drilled a small hole and injected glue). I tried hide glue and that failed, I think because of the high humidity. In the end I kinda tore it up and filled in the missing pieces with plastiwood. Gorrilla glue or just plain ol wood glue should work best. I also cut a 2X4 to the same arc as the inside of the drum so when I clamped it, it would make contact with the entire area.

Posted on 12 years ago

I have an old house and there is no sump pump, I get seepage because I am on a hill but have never flooded. I built a riser out of 2x6's and 3/4 plywood to keep my home kit high and dry, and it also provided a nice level surface!

Posted on 12 years ago

Liquid nails goes through a syringe great. I've always used that on my ring separation repairs. Make sure to lay down your wax paper.

Posted on 12 years ago

You need to read this thread, see if the steam iron method would work for you. PM Mr. Curotto ask his advice, he has knows more about restoration than anyone else I know. Mike Curotto is a member here.

http://www.drumforum.org/index.php?/topic/69213-1935-leedy-5x14-terra-cotta-broadway-standard-model/

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here