Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.05219%

Warped Wuhan China Cymbals?

Hi,

Does anyone know how to correct a warped Wuhan China cymbal? Is it common for these to be warped at times. Also does this effect the sound? I hope this is not a stupid question! Any advice would help. Thanks! Phil Cormier Leominster, Ma 01453

Posted on 2 years ago

Hi. Can you post a picture showing the warp? I don't think it's really going to matter much with a Wuhan China type because they are built to be funky.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 2 years ago

Hi,

How can I post a photo on this website? Please let me know. Thanks! Phil Cormier

Leominster, Ma 01453

Posted on 2 years ago

Just click on the manage attachments tab shown on the bottom of the post as you are posting..I just save them in my documents and attach them..If you are doing this stuff from a Phone or other device. I have no idea,LOL

Posted on 1 year ago

I know this thread is a few months old, but Wuhan China type cymbals are made the traditional way by hand. They are pounded out by hand so they are very crude compared to any of the traditional brands which are rolled and stamped to shape before hammering and lathing.

That is what makes them sound so trashy, which is what you want in a China cymbal. They vary greatly from cymbal to cymbal.

I once bought two Wuhan China cymbals because I wanted one and was going to gift the other to my brother. Guitar Center threw both in a big box with maybe a piece of brown paper for packing. They banged around during shipping, but I couldn't tell if they sustained any damage other than maybe a few mild scrapes. They sounded very different. I picked the one I liked and gave my brother the other one.

My Zildjian China type, by comparison, is very smooth and perfectly shaped. It sounds good, but is not near as trashy as the Wuhan.

Posted on 1 year ago

I have two Wuhans, an 18" and a 22", and neither one really gives me the explosive trashiness I want in a China, so I went online, found a machine shop nearby, took it in this morning, and the guy who works there is going to drill holes for me, which I believe, will allow more explosive trash and a very quick decay, which is exactly the sound I want.

I've probably bought and sold 8-10 Wuhans over the years. Most of them were too heavy and clangy.

Certain Sabian and Zildjian Chinas are often very refined compared to Wuhans, and while some may like that sound, I want a China that's as trashy, loud and offensive as it gets.

'23 DW Collector's, Black Galaxy: 13/16/18/22/14 sn.
'01 DW Collector's, Oyster White: 8/10/12/14/16/22.
'24 DW Performance, Gold Sparkle, 12/14/20.
'59-ish Slingerland Pink Sparkle, 13/16/22.

'72 Slingerland Red Tiger Pearl: 12/13/16/16/22.
'70ish Slingerland Merlot Sparkle rewrap: 13/16/24.

'68ish Slingerland rewrap: 13/16/22.

'69 Rogers Holiday, Red Onyx: 13/16/24
'67 Ludwig Burgundy Sparkle: 12/13/16/22.
'70-ish Ludwig Std, Burgundy Oyster: 13/16/22.
'69-ish MIJ Drum Mate: Peacock Pearl: 13/16/22.
'67-ish MIJ Crown, Red Sparkle, 12/13/16/22.

'67-ish,. MIJ Drum Mate, Blue Oyster, 12/13/16/22.

Posted on 1 year ago

I got my 18” Wuhan in the late 80’s. Big store near RPI upstate NY (don’t remember the name).

Anyway they had a huge selection of chinas from Wuhan and I spent way too long finding the right one.

Many years later my partner making guitars ended up as John Fishman’s drum tech. John broke his china and he ended up with a cheap ride I beat into a China cymbal (what I used before the Wuhan). He broke that and my partner asked if he could have the Wuhan… uh, no, sorry!

Mike (I think his name was) the bass player ended up buying a stop sign badge COB Gretsch snare dome me that I restored. I didn’t get along with the sound of that drum so everyone was happy.

Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 1 year ago
Action Another action Something else here