Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

warped bass hoops (not out of round) help!

Hello all,I have some bass hoops where some of the t rods don't meet the lugs! I have some longer t rods of a different mfg. . IF I use them to tension up the head,will it un-warp the hoop after awhile? Any other ideas? I was toying with sanding the flat edge that goes against the head by 1/8". As I said though,only some do not reach ( 7 out of 10 do),the rest don't. Go figure !

Posted on 14 years ago

Please don't take this wrong, but are you tensioning down all at the same time, or starting going around and tightening as you go? I guess what I mean is, do you start them first and then tension? Or tighten each as you go? If starting them first, then tensioning, you should be OK...

As for un-warping, the would likely need to be damp during a major portion of the time, and then allowed to dry. I mean damp for a long time, weeks likely. Warped wood has a long memory.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

If you set the hoop on a perfectly flat surface (like a pane of glass), is there a visible warp?

Posted on 14 years ago

I try to seat them the same way that I tune them,like changing a tire,not going around the drum but only some reach the lug and the ones that come up short are not all in the same area! Actuall more than 3 came up short but I was able to tension down one on either side of the short one and,it brought the hoop close enough to start threading it but this did not work in the case of the 3 shorties.

I did lay the hoops flat on a new,level stage Friday and one was not flat against floor,one was.

Maybe I should mark the areas where the rods do not meet and just sand those areas??

Posted on 14 years ago

From Bobby Cee

I try to seat them the same way that I tune them,like changing a tire,not going around the drum but only some reach the lug and the ones that come up short are not all in the same area! Actuall more than 3 came up short but I was able to tension down one on either side of the short one and,it brought the hoop close enough to start threading it but this did not work in the case of the 3 shorties.I did lay the hoops flat on a new,level stage Friday and one was not flat against floor,one was.Maybe I should mark the areas where the rods do not meet and just sand those areas??

You know Bobby, if this is the original hoop, you may not want to sand it. What are we talking about? What wrap/inlay, that sort of thing? The reason I ask is that you could ruin the value completely. For not too much, you can actually buy a new wood hoop and have it routed for the inlay for like 40 shipped. www.aitwood.com

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

if it's not flat, it won't tune well... hooray for physics

Posted on 14 years ago

put them on and see how it works. my gretsch hoops are pretty warped, but worked fine once i got them seated with some tension...

-64 Ludwig Black Oyster Classic kit 22,13,16
-65 Leedy BDP 22,13,16
-65 Ludwig WMP Clubdate 20,12,14
-66 Ludwig Red sparkle Downbeat
-60's Gretsch RB Green Glass 22,13,16
Lots of cymbals, snares and orphans, old and newish
Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks Jonni but,the inlay is missing and,they need a paint job so,they do not have any real value IMO. I'm also not certain what mfg. they are.They came with a lot of Rogers shells and parts I got for 180 on E Bay. In fact, 1 has a 5/8" inlay,the other a 1/2" I do know Rogers used 1/2" . The bass shell has a LARGE 3 and 1/2" cursive script badge,Cleveland paper label.

Anyway,I just want to be able to use Rogers T Rods.As is I can use mostly Rogers and some longer old Gretsch I have. I was hoping if I sand down the area that goes against the head on the short T rods that they will then fit.

Any physics experts wish to chime in lol? I mean will that in effect flatten the warp?

Posted on 14 years ago

Steam or hot water might help you.... or hurt you................

I hot water bathed a 14 inch maple hoop for a Gretsch marching snare back into shape once.

Might have just been luck.................

Here's how I did it....

Link..................

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here