Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Warped Bass Drum Hoops

I have a question about something I have never really dealt with before. The hoops I got off that Ludwig Galaxy wrap drum were seperated. I was able to succesfully glue them back properly but they are a little "warped" slightly twisted, but not so bad you can't get them over a head. Should I just lay them flat and put a couple boards and a concrete block on top of them for a month or put them on the drum and let the tension rods straighten them out. I don't want to put any undue pressure on the drum either to cause a problem. It seems in round.

Posted on 12 years ago

looking forward to what you learn here. i recently reglued a pair of cicra 1920's ludwig 15" hoops. i lined them up exactly where i could see the old marks come together,glued them and clamped them. one was perfect and the other slips over the collar of the head...

mike

Posted on 12 years ago

Ok, well. Could not find my other thread concerning this bass drum.

But, I got the hoops repaired. Then when I laid them flat , just barely a little lift on each one. So, I tensioned the one I thought was worse on the reso head and it fit fine. The other I thought was the best was a little tight on the batter head, but fit once I evenly positioned it with tension rods evenly started. Guess I am lucky to be able to have both hoops work. I am thinking it may be the old pin stripe head I used on the batter side. all I had today.

I am thinking they fit, and keep them on there and they will conform.

So I took it out and played it on the gig tonight. Worked fine. Nice drum. Sounded pretty good. I taped off the wrap on each side of where the bare spot is and sprayed it gloss black. light. I contacted Clay at "Forks Drum Closet" and he is trying to get some of the new Ludwig Galaxy wrap for he and I. Looks pretty close. Then I can patch it. But I am thinking no harm done. You can't really tell from on stage. Anyway here is a pic of the way I used it on the gig with a couple other orphans. Was fun. I just got home and will post a pic of the other side tomorrow.

[IMG]http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l37/1vibes/Galaxy%20Ludwig%20Bass%20Drum/IMG_4429.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here