Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

Wanted:Early 50's 13" and 16" Slingerland Radio King toms

I found an excellent condition 1952 7"x14" Radio King split lug snare with a matching 14"x22" bass drum and matching bongos yesterday. I would like to find a 9"x13" tom and a 16"x16" floor tom to complete this set. The drums have chrome hardware, beavertail lugs and are wrapped in blue sparkle (blue glass glitter?). I would also entertain same-era drums that could be re-wrapped to match. Thanks!

Posted on 14 years ago

Just a note about Slingerlands Blue Sparkle, it is going to be a tough one to match. The slingy blue spkl has been various different shades throughout the years. Check out this link from the VDG http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/drcjw/article_4_finishes12.htm

I'd order a swatch from Precision or Jammin Sam first before you start buying shells, because I think this one will be very tough to match.

Posted on 14 years ago

Deadhead,

Thanks for the link! The drums were purchased new back in 1952 by the gentleman I bought them from yesterday. (the guy was a trip; he's 79 years old now but he had played in the Air Force band after college and had tons of great stories about meeting a lot of the old-time great drummers!) The finish is definitely the same shade as the 1951 sparkling blue pearl shown on the 'linked' page. I know it's a longshot, but I would be happy if I can even get close either with same-era blue sparkle drums or by re-wrapping a few same-era shells, as I REALLY want to complete this kit. Thanks for your help!

Posted on 14 years ago

Precision has both turquoise sparkle and turq. glass glitter. I would get a sample before buying shells as mentioned earlier.If it's a close match,I have a 16 inch RK Floor tom shell with some hardware, 40's era I believe but,get the samples first.

Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks Bobby,

I had spoken with Gary at Precision Drum a few weeks ago about the chances of matching this color. He sent me several large Delmar custom color sample sheets to look over for the best/closest match. As there are several dozen different blue glass glitters to select from I'm confident I will be able to either 'nail it' or get pretty darned close. The drum was hard to photograph accurately; it's actually not as turquoise in color as the photos came out. It's really a bit more blue than the pictures show. Hopefully I'll have a chance over the coming weekend to compare the samples to my RK's and make a color selection. Just so I can start getting all of my ducks in a row, can you PM me some information regarding the 16x16 that you have? (Approximate year, large or small Beavertails, with or without legs, any extra holes, chrome or nickel harware, what hardware is missing, etc.)

Thanks in advance for your time!

Randy

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here