Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

Vistalite Spider Cracks

Hey guys. My 13" tom developed what appear to be very fine spider cracks coming from the resonant side (in only 1-area). It almost looks like an alcohol-based cleaner had been used (which it was not). I hardly ever use the upper tom. Usually it comes out when another drummer is in the house. Its always been clean with just a few normal scratches. It sits safely in my closet most of the time, but I noticed them the other day. I'll ask but I think I know the answer. Is there anything I can do to stabilize the condition? Thanks!

Tony

Posted on 8 years ago

You can try Weld-On plastic adhesive.

Posted on 8 years ago

Interesting. I will have to do some research on that product. I've never used it before. Thanks for responding JS. I appreciate it.

Posted on 8 years ago

Google the vistalite website. They cover how to repair and maintain vistalite drums pretty well.

Posted on 8 years ago

I had a small spider crack and I used a thin layer of SuperGlue. It is transparent and has held for years.

My kit:
Ludwig Vistalite Big Beat set consisting of:
14” X 22” bass, 16” X 16” floor tom, 8” X 12” ride tom, 9” X 13” ride tom, 5” X 14” snare
Ludwig 201 Speed King bass drum pedal
Ludwig 1124 Spur-lok hit-hat with Ludwig Standard Paiste 14” cymbals (760 & 770 gr) with ching-ring
Two Ludwig Standard S-270 cymbals stands
18” Zildjian crash cymbal (1550 gr) and 20” Zildjian ride cymbal (2130 gr) with CAMCO sizzler
Gibraltar motorcycle seat-style drum throne with backrest
Posted on 8 years ago

Excellent stuff. Thanks for the help. I love my Vistalite kit, but sometimes I feel like they're a bit too far on the fragile side. I just got my matching RCI canister throne...and am adjusting to sitting 3" higher. Thanks again you guys!

Tony

Posted on 8 years ago

It is funny that some Vista kits seem more "fragile" than others. I got a brand new Vista kit in the mid '70s and kept it for ten years - three of that gigging nightly - and never had a crack, even though I used the bass without the hoop.

My current Vista kit is a 1973 I got off Ebay and I use it to gig about 8 - 10 times a month, and other than the very minor spider web around one of the screw holes in the snare, I have had no issues at all. Maybe some are just more fragile, or maybe it is how they are cared for? I am definitely NOT a hard player!

My kit:
Ludwig Vistalite Big Beat set consisting of:
14” X 22” bass, 16” X 16” floor tom, 8” X 12” ride tom, 9” X 13” ride tom, 5” X 14” snare
Ludwig 201 Speed King bass drum pedal
Ludwig 1124 Spur-lok hit-hat with Ludwig Standard Paiste 14” cymbals (760 & 770 gr) with ching-ring
Two Ludwig Standard S-270 cymbals stands
18” Zildjian crash cymbal (1550 gr) and 20” Zildjian ride cymbal (2130 gr) with CAMCO sizzler
Gibraltar motorcycle seat-style drum throne with backrest
Posted on 8 years ago

I don't play hard either, which is preferable on a vista kit. They can get brutally loud with a heavy-hitter. I recently met a guy who was touring with a 70's smoke-kit. No worries at all for him, in a van, no cases, doing mostly bar/club gigs. I tried to post a photo of my kit, but I failed.

Posted on 8 years ago

Hope you get it fixed. Tequila Sunrise kit is on the short list. Forum limit is 5 pics. Send what you want posted to:

[email]cjs@lost-coast-designs.com[/email]

I'll try and get them attached to this thread.

Creighton

Nothing special here but I like them.
Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here