Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.45929%

Vistalite Drums - Photos Needed

Hello Vistalite Collectors.....

Working on another project and I need some material for the web site about vistalite drums. Here are some things I could use and you will be credited for your work.

Shell Issues and problems

1. Photo of a cracked shell

2. Photos of spider webbing

3. Scratches or gauges

Articles on:

If you have used the novus products or have stripped paint off of a shell then I would like some first hand accounts. What you did and how it turned out. Any before and after work would be great.

Anything related to the drums with history and literature. I have a bunch of stuff here already http://vintagedrumguide.com/ludwig_vistalites.html

That will be moved to the new site including any new material in my collection.

Thanks

David

Posted on 14 years ago

David,

Glad to see that you are starting a site devoted to Vistalites. I have my Vistas posted in the gallery under 1975 "Tequila Sunrise" Vistalites.

I lucked out when I found these about 2 years ago in that there were no cracks to be found in any of the 6 shells. It is the "Pro Beat" configuration consisting of: 5x14 matching snare; 9x13 rack tom; 10x14 rack tom; 16x16 floor tom; 16x18 floor tom; and 14x24 kick. Aside from some missing hardware, as seen in the before photos, the shells were in good shape for 35+ year old drums. A few light scratches in the usual places and a hazy dull look to the shells were evideent at first glance. I knew where to look for cracks and spiderwebbing and found none. I was in the right place at the right time: believe it or not.... A CHURCH GARAGE SALE.

I stripped each drum down to bare shell, washed inside and out with warm soapy water, dried, and then used Novus #2 followed by Novus #1 on the entire shell inside and out. Now from time to time I do a touch up with #1 to shine and repell dust.

Here's the before photos. (the After photos will be in a followup post.

The Fossil / Kim
Posted on 14 years ago
The Fossil / Kim
Posted on 14 years ago

Very cool drums! If you have the time and want to type up a little story on the process it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, any badge photos and serial number close-ups would be excellent.

Thanks

David

Posted on 14 years ago

Here you go:

[IMG]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1304/1422804585_656a715b60.jpg[/IMG]

I can't remember what I used on that. I can go out in the garage and find out though. :D

Posted on 14 years ago

So I see a crack? in the photo by the tone control.

Now I need a spider web!

Posted on 14 years ago

From Webmaster

Very cool drums! If you have the time and want to type up a little story on the process it would be greatly appreciated. Also, any badge photos and serial number close-ups would be excellent. Thanks David

I'll try to get some photos later this week or next. I already have the serial numbers written down.

The Fossil / Kim
Posted on 14 years ago

From Webmaster

So I see a crack? in the photo by the tone control. Now I need a spider web!

Correct, saddly. Weld-On #2 was what I used on it. Honestly, I don't think it was going anywhere, but just in case.

Posted on 14 years ago

Here's a couple. I'll try for more.

2 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

Here's a few more.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here