Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Vistalite Bearing Edge

Hey All,

I have an early 70's Vistalite kit. In restoring them I noticed the bearing edges were all very inconsistent. Some spots appear to have no edge cut at all. Is this normal??

Also, the original owner notched out a spot on each drum to install a KAT drum trigger. I didn't think much of this at the time, but when taking them all apart, I decided this was not a smart move on his part. How is this going to impact my tone?

I'm wondering if I can use the process to fix a crack/seam to fill the notch in these drums...or if it's really even necessary.

Thanks!

Matt

:: '73 Ludwig Vistalite 12-13-14-16-22 ::
:: 70's Chrome-O-Wood 5x14 ::
Posted on 12 years ago

Hi Matt,

Welcome to the forum...

A photo of the notches and bearing edge would be real helpful. And yes, if the notches you're talking about are thin/small, it will be no biggie to use a good epoxy as a filler. Use clear epoxy and tint it to the color of your kit using standard -transparent- (not opaque) artist oil paint from a tube. You can also tape playing cards tight against the inside and outside of the shell to act as a mold/barrier for the epoxy. When you pull the playing cards away, you won't have to sand the surfaces flush, they will already be flush.

Lets have a look-see at the bearing edge you're talking about. You can't work vistalite the way you work wood. If the bearing edge on your vistalite needs dressing of any kind, best to send it to the pro's at Presicion Drum where the have the proper bits and jigs to do the job right. Don't try to tackle something like cutting bearing edges on vistalite by yourself. If you're not using special bits and procedures, you'll badly damage, if not outright shatter, the shells.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here