Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Vistalite Bearing Edge! Need advice.

I have an early 70's ('73, i think) Blue Vistalite kit, 24", 16", 14", 13" & 14" snare. The bearing edges are really sloppy at the seam, apparently from the joining process. The edge comes to a flat instead of the 45% edge that the rest of the drum has. Is there a best way to fix this that anyone knows of. Precision Drum Co. can recut it for around $250 + Ship both ways. I would like to look into some less expensive options. Anyone know how to do this?

Posted on 14 years ago

I know what you mean, as I'm looking across the room at 10 disassembled Vistalite shells right now. if the bearing edge is not totally horrific, you can knock the high spot off with a sanding block and 600 grit paper...

the top edge is the one that counts, so as long as that's level, you are good.. if there's some excess shell at the joint, just touch it up with the sandpaper.

If it's a LOW spot... that's a whole different story.. and should prolly be recut by a pro.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here