Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

vintge lug screws, to paint or not to paint

I have several vintage ludwig drums in various stages of cleaning and restoration. My question is about the original lug screws I found a great way to clean the sht out of them but for some reason they come out looking strange. Kind of multi colored with copper splotches etc. The metal is not a uniform color when cleaned that well. I tried spray painting them silver as an option but I dont want that to devalue the drums if I ever sell them. Some of the best condition Ludwigs Ive come across, the lug screws have almost a white/silver oxidized look to them. I just recently found a web site selling BDP museum quality set and the lug screws look sprayed. Im not sure whats exceptable.

QUESTION IS, WHAT IS THE RECOMMENDED PROCEDURE FOR TOUCHING UP THE LUG SCREWS, At this point just cleaning may be out for me, Im leaning toward finding the right paint???????

Posted on 15 years ago

I wouldn't paint them.

May i ask how you've cleaned them?

Posted on 15 years ago

I'd have to second the "don't paint them" theme here. The reason you are seeing the multi-color copper thing is that in some spots, the plating has worn down to past the chrome/nickel plating. This can happen from normal use, or from cleaning with something too abrasive.

My technique for cleaning lug screws is pretty simple. You'll need a drill (i Use a drill press) and some 000 steel wool (very fine). I place the lug screw in the chuck of the drill, threads down. I then run the drill while holding a piece of the 000 steel wool against the lug screw (you can wrap it around the screw as well) and gently apply pressure while running the wool slowly up and down the lug.

This removes any rust and crud but doesn't dig too deep into the plating. You can also run the wool through the threads to remove a lot of crud.

Wipe the lug down with a clean, dry cloth and if you wish, go over the lug with a metal polish (I use Mothers metal polish myself).

If the screws are too far gone and there's little or no plating left, I just clean them as best I can and use them as is. It may take away from the look a bit, but I think it's better to keep them as close to original as possible.

In my opinion, a lug screw is not unlike a guitar tuner/machine head. They wear out and eventually need to be replaced. Nobody wants a 59 Les Paul with "original tuners" that are broken/slipping, if you follow me.

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 15 years ago

Yeah, I agree. Don't paint them. Just clean them up. It's MUCH better to have some splotchy, ORIGINAL lug screws than it is to paint them or to replace them with new, shiny ones. In fact, if I saw a drum that had painted lug screws, I wouldn't consider it as an asset to the looks. Paint would look tacky to my eye.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

Ludwig didn't ever paint any black did they? I have a drum or two with some black lug screws, which I figured a previous owner had painted.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here