Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

Vintage Yamaha RC's

Well, so far I've jumped in the water here with my stencil kits (Astro and Royalstar) as well as one of my vintage snare drums (Ludwig). For me, the pinnacle of drum sounds, THE sound that I feel best represents the musical statements I wish to make are Yamaha Recording Custom drums.

It all started with Gadd and Newmark, then progressed through a number of players in the 80's, 90's and 2000's. Tony Thomspon, Larry Mullen Jr., Manu Katche, Mike Bordin, Carter Beauford, Marc Slutsky of the group Splender, William Ellis of the group Blue Merle, the list could keep going...

It wasn't always necessarily what these players played or how they approached the music (although I know it certainly factors in) that got me. Rather, it was the actual sound of the drums they were getting that always blew me away. I believe that much like round badge Gretsch drums or vintage Ludwig drums have an identifiable sound, so too do Recording Customs have an identifiable sound, specifically the toms and bass drums.

I own two Recording Custom sets at this time. One is a newer Cherrywood stain 13-16ft-22 in standard depths (pretty rare find) and the other is the set that I am going to share with you today, a mid/late 80's white lacquer hottie that has faded to a wonderful creme color. Very classy. 10-12-14-16ft-24 in power sizes. Gettin' my 80's groove on the right way!!

I'm not running the 10" tom at the moment. I'm running a Larry Mullen Jr.-style set up with the 12" up and the 14" off to the left of my hi-hat. Very fun. I know that her age doesn't make her truly vintage, but at 20+ years old, she's been around the block a few times! :D

[IMG]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b273/ryanculberson/Photo0379.jpg[/IMG]

And here trying to tap into some Newmark vibe on the gig...

[IMG]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b273/ryanculberson/CopyofPhoto0423.jpg[/IMG]

Cheers,

Ryan

Posted on 13 years ago

Beautiful kit. I have always loved Yamaha drums. I have owned some, and always found they sounded great, and I have always been a big fan of their tom mounting systems. Always so easy to adjust and get comfortable. Love that white lacquer, by the way.

Gretsch Catalina Maples - 22,8,10,12,16 DCB
70's Silvertone - 20,12,14, 14Sn Blue Sparkle
60's No Name MIJ - 20,12,14 Red Sparkle
70's Yamaha (YD?) - 20,12,13,16 Red Ripple
Posted on 13 years ago

Nice kit! I used to own a piano black one, 18" BD, 10x10 TT and 14x14 FT, bought it somewhere around 1990. Birch shells, great sound though later I sold it and bought a Ludwig Maple Custom.

Posted on 13 years ago

I love RC's. I think 80's RC's are a vintage by now. When people look for Yamaha drums they ask is it pre YESS? Pre YESS would be mid/late 80's early 90's vintage. I know they still make them like they used to but that's only because they are so well made and still are in demand years later. Just like a lot of things they have become eclipsed by the Maple Custom line and the PHX but these drums are very good for anything and they always get a good sound.

Yes their tom mounts are awesome too making them flexible for set ups. Yamaha drums are the easiest to use for multi-setup gigs. One night you may use 12/14/22 and the next night 8/10/12/13/16/22 with the same hardware and a few clamps on extra cymbal stands. All the other companies have largely copied or tried to copy their approach. It's hard to get it right because Yamaha succeeded and makes their stuff truly user friendly.

Gretsch Nitron Glass New Classic 2010 8/10/12/14/16/22
Yamaha Cherry Wood Recording Custom 1987/2005 8/10/12/13/14/16/22
Ludwig Black Diamond Pearl 1966 5x14 S.S./13/16/22
Gretsch wood finish 1959 5x14/13/16/22
Slingerland Radio King Capri Pearl 5x14 Radio King
Gretsch Silver Sparkle Catalina Club Bop 2008 18/14/12/10/5x14
Gretsch Silver Sparkle/Black Stripe Catalina Club Mod kit 22/10/12/16
Posted on 13 years ago

Don't forget JR (John Robinson). I have a live recording of him with Rufus and Chaka Khan (Stompin' at the Savoy) from the early 80's. His Recording Custom kit sounded terrific!

The RC's were the only modern high end kit I ever considered buying to gig with during that era.

Posted on 13 years ago

I played the reissue Recording Customs at Winter NAMM, and I have to say that RC's have "that" sound that I hear in my head, perhaps due to my penchant for Gadd. They sound "right" and speak easily.

Yamaha makes some of the best drums on the market, period.

JR Frondelli
www.frondelli.com
www.dbmproaudio.com

Mediocre is the new "good"
Posted on 13 years ago

I know before I got into Gadd I liked Weckl's sound on the old Elektric Band recordings. I figured out from ads that he played RC's. I liked his tom sound. Gadd came later after hearing him on a lot of albums I liked. I had his vhs video of Up Close and I hated his tom sound on that because of the Evans Hydraulics. I am sure that is why because I never cared for most of the 70's toms sounds. I always loved a double headed tom sound. Then I saw the vid for the Buddy Rich memorial in 89 with Gadd/Weckl/Colaiuta playing the rc drums. They are sweet drums and mine are cherry finish. They are scratched and still look good and look even better under lights.

I am interested to know what everones favorite heads are on their RC's and why. I am currently using Evans g2's on top and Remo clear ambassadors on bottoms. Kick has clear ps3 on batter and Evans EQ1 reso.

Gretsch Nitron Glass New Classic 2010 8/10/12/14/16/22
Yamaha Cherry Wood Recording Custom 1987/2005 8/10/12/13/14/16/22
Ludwig Black Diamond Pearl 1966 5x14 S.S./13/16/22
Gretsch wood finish 1959 5x14/13/16/22
Slingerland Radio King Capri Pearl 5x14 Radio King
Gretsch Silver Sparkle Catalina Club Bop 2008 18/14/12/10/5x14
Gretsch Silver Sparkle/Black Stripe Catalina Club Mod kit 22/10/12/16
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here