Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

Vintage Yamaha Kit

I recently acquired a vintage set of Yamahas, and would like info on the model/year, composition of the shells and number of plys, collectability of the model and wrap, and what would have been a fair price to have paid. I am pretty sure I got them at a steal for only $350, and I only had to dust them off a bit.

The kit appears to have all original hardware, including hihat stand and bass pedals, which are in perfect working order and near perfect cosmetics. The only exception is the crash stand which appears newer. The cymbals are a hodge-podge of older series, including Slingerland 14” Black Gold HiHats (stamped Made in Italy), a Pearl CX500 crash? and an older CB700 ride which also give a booming crash when struck just right. The toms have internal dampers which seem to be original and working perfectly. The interior of the shells are “painted” a silver/grey. They even came with a vintage set of Ludwig brushes!

Apparently these were owned and played for 30 years down at a local Legion hall before being retired and handed down to the second owner (who never learned to play and put them up for sale online.

Posted on 13 years ago

It's a YD kit in Red Pine finish. That's a nice 6 ply snare. I would need to know the sizes in order to give a precise kit config code. Dang sweet kit.

What Would You Do
Posted on 13 years ago

That is a really cool kit. That is one mij kit that I would love to have!

Posted on 13 years ago

Sizes:

Bass = 16x20

Snare = 5x14

Tom = 8x12

Floor Tom = 14x14

I am using a second snare stand for the small tom, as the slotted tom mount tends to rattle too much for my liking. I do use and love the Bass-mounted ride arm though. Keeps the kit small and tight. I used a drum dial to fine tune everything and they sound fantastic.

Still wondering what the shell composition on these are though.

Posted on 13 years ago

Very nice set for the money. I bought an 80's era Yamaha kit earlier this year, which also spent many years in a smokey bar. When I removed the heads, a strange funky smell emerged from the interior. Can't tell you much about your new kit, but it appears to be a great purchase.

'68 Ludwig Ruby Red Strata
'68 Ludwig Mod Orange
'58 Gretsch Starlight Sparkle
'69 Ludwig Clubdate BDP
'60s Ludwig Clubdate Black Lacquer / Nickel
'67 Trixon Speedfire Red
COB Ludwig Supra
Many projects
Bunch o snares
Posted on 13 years ago

Lovely looking kit! Nice one..

Posted on 13 years ago

Sweet kit! Great find.

fishwaltz
Posted on 13 years ago

I'd say you got a bargain there. Really nice kit and becoming (if not already) very collectible

Andrew

Golden Curtain
www.myspace.com/garagelandnz
Posted on 13 years ago

I have a vintage Yamaha kit in Red Pearl from the same era, sizes 20/12/12/16 and a 5 x 14 steel snare. WONDERFUL drums, and becoming increasingly rare. The shells are birch/lauan ply, much like the later 7000-series. VERY cool finish you have there. Hold onto them, don't mod them and play 'em to death! :D

JR Frondelli
www.frondelli.com
www.dbmproaudio.com

Mediocre is the new "good"
Posted on 13 years ago

From rentageek

Sizes:Bass = 16x20Snare = 5x14Tom = 8x12Floor Tom = 14x14

That's a YD-20 model kit from the 70's. The SDM-5 chrome snare would have been standard fare, but yours has the upgraded 6 ply SD-5 matching snare. I have the cat for that model kit. That's a very cool one for sure. I love the Red Pine wrap. It's my fave of the offerings. Way better looking than the Willows or Ripple of that Yamaha era. Enjoy it for many years.

What Would You Do
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here