Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Vintage worth - elswhere compared to US

As some of you may know from my regular 'e-bay' and 'is this a good buy...' postings, I'm always asking your opinion on vintage kits that take my fancy (inevitably they cost way too much or slip out of my hands, but that's the way it is!). Anyway, from talking with US musicians on my gigging travels, I've learned that instruments tend to retail for less in the US than they do here in the UK. It seems this goes for second hand vintage stuff too. Exchange rate changes aside, I think a nice vintage Slingy for example, would cost a lot more in relative terms here than it would in the US. Granted, you have so many more of them, as they were made there, but you take the point.

I just wanted peoples thoughts, and indeed how forum users from other countries fare in the kit cost stakes.

This may sound crazy, but I wonder if anyone has the know-how to construct a table, with average US worth, Average Euro worth, Asia etc... It's all subjective, but there seems to be such a difference in what is perceived to be a good buy, that I thought I'd throw it out there for discussion.

Tama Superstar, 22, 22, 16, 14, 13 Desert Burst
Premier Genista, 22, 16, 13, 12 Black Lacquer
Premier Genista, 20, 14, 10 and snare Black Lacquer
Premier Resonator 22, 16, 14, 13 poly creme/black
Zickos 22, 16, 14, 13, clear acrylic and snare
Posted on 15 years ago

Seems like Sonor and Premier are more plentiful where you are. Sonors in particular are more expensive in the U.S.

Posted on 15 years ago

Nice thoughts - but I assume impossible to put in a table!

I am from Germany, and here is my experience with foreign biddings (eBay):

I've got my Paiste 2000 hihats from California/USA: price incl. shipping a little cheaper than in Germany.

I've got my Paiste 2000 China from UK: nearly same conditions as in Germany (but generally rare to find cymbal).

I got my Premier 2000 snare drum from UK (best place for that drum, of course!).

I have watched a vintage STAR kick pedal in USA: gone away for US-$ 175.00.

Same model, just without felt beater, here in Germany: less than crummy EUR 10.00!

My feel is that the vintage drum scene is much bigger in the US (not only due to more residents over there).

If you go to ebay, one point is the only important one:

- market wishes at exact time of bidding (= two weeks earlier/ later = maybe totally different situation).

Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here