Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.25887%

Vintage Wmp Gretsch Name Band Snare Drum

I'm looking to add a vintage Gretsch snare drum to my personal collection (at a reasonable price, of course!) and I'm considering a 1960s Gretsch WMP Name Band. The one I'm looking at is a 5 1/2 x 14 with all original hardware, including the Micro-Sensitive strainer, no modifications whatsoever and no extra holes in the shell. The original WMP finished has "mellowed" (not "yellowed") very slightly, but that only adds to the character of the drum in my opinion. The only thing missing is the Gretsch label on the interior of the shell. The current owner couldn't provide any information regarding that situation.

I'm trying to obtain some input regarding the current "fair market" value of this particular drum and would also like to know whether the missing Gretsch label on the interior shell would adversely affect the value of the drum, should I decide to trade or sell it down the road.

THANKS in advance for your responses!

Posted on 15 years ago

Just did a "completed listings" search on eBay... super wide range.

Lots of no-sells for $900 to $1400 (!).

A few "special" ones (rare pearl or COB) sold for $600.

A nice RB Champagne went for $400.

Here's a WMP:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Gretsch-5X14-White-Pearl-4157-RB-Snare-Drum_W0QQitemZ300337733200QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintgae_Drums_Percussion?hash=item45ed861e50&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_500wt_924 In that ad it says 5x14 but I suspect it's a 5 1/2" x 14.

A few lucky people got RB snares for $200 (if I was needing one I would try to be one of them).

Any under $200 seemed to be 6 lugs or something else undesirable to most.

About 3000 Catalinas from Musician's Friend didn't sell.

Of course Craigslist may be cheaper... or higher and there's always getting one in somebody's garage for peanuts because the head is broken.

Posted on 15 years ago

From OldSchool

I'm looking to add a vintage Gretsch snare drum to my personal collection (at a reasonable price, of course!) and I'm considering a 1960s Gretsch WMP Name Band. The one I'm looking at is a 5 1/2 x 14 with all original hardware, including the Micro-Sensitive strainer, no modifications whatsoever and no extra holes in the shell. The original WMP finished has "mellowed" (not "yellowed") very slightly, but that only adds to the character of the drum in my opinion. The only thing missing is the Gretsch label on the interior of the shell. The current owner couldn't provide any information regarding that situation. I'm trying to obtain some input regarding the current "fair market" value of this particular drum and would also like to know whether the missing Gretsch label on the interior shell would adversely affect the value of the drum, should I decide to trade or sell it down the road.THANKS in advance for your responses!

It's not necessarily weird that the snare doesn't have a Gretsch label on the interior. The general consensus seems to be that Gretsch didn't start using interior tags until the early 60s, and they were making Name Band kits well before that. I've got a 50s Name Band set with no interior tags.

Kits:
1950s Gretsch Name Band in Midnight Blue Pearl (13/16/22/14sn)
1965/66 Ludwig Club Dates rewrapped in Black Diamond Pearl (12/15/20)
Posted on 15 years ago

THANKS for the feedback to date! I appreciate your time and the information provided.

I've found out a few more characteristics of the particular drum that I'm considering:

- Along with the Micro-Sensitive strainer its got the one-point snare butt; and

- Although there's no label on the interior of the shell, the shell is painted grey

Would this information help narrow the possible years of production for this one? I never understood why some Name Band snares came with the one-point butt, while others came with the four-point. Did the year (or years) of manufacture determine that issue? Did one configuration replace the other? If so, which came first?

Posted on 15 years ago

You're describing my snare exactly! Silver interiors, no tags, one-point butt.

From what I understand, they started doing the silver interiors around 57 or so, and didn't start using tags until 62 or 63. So that should narrow down the age for you. I don't know much about the butt issue.

Does the snare feature die-cast rims, or are they stick-choppers? Stick-choppers mean an older drum.

Enjoy!

Kits:
Posted on 15 years ago

section2:

THANKS AGAIN for your input. The current owner claims that the rims are stick-choppers. If you'd like, PM me with your email address and I can send some pics.

Posted on 15 years ago

My pleasure!

You can also check out http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/gretsch.html for more details. There's some good info there on the timing of different developments in the Gretsch line (e.g. when they started using silver interiors, etc.).

Kits:
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here