Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

Vintage Tempo kit

A friend who lives out in the countryside just rescued these Tempo drums from the roadside garbage for me. I'm assuming MIJ by Star as that looks like Star hardware. Anybody have any idea on age 60's ? 70's ? I figure I could clean them up and they would make a fun little back up set.

2 attachments
Posted on 6 years ago

You've got a good friend there, looks all pretty much intact. Guessing it's 20, 12, 14

Posted on 6 years ago

Good friend indeed. Now Tempo was a Pearl brand & Star Brand. What you have there is a later version made by Hoshino ( non Star ) This is something we've had discussions of as you'll notice the Tempo badge you have is basic, and likely a sticker. The belief is that by the later 1960's when both Star & Pearl were becoming names and didn't need the stencil brands, they sold certain names off. I'm attaching a photo of a Star & pearl made Tempo drums. You can see the differences in badge. I was only able to locate the Star One ( for some reason it won't upload the pearl ) but I'll try and get that uploaded soon.

1 attachments
18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 6 years ago

Are Tempro and Tempo the same thing?

Posted on 6 years ago

Cool wrap! Those should be fun. Please post pics when you get them cleaned up.

Wanted: Pearl President floor tom in Golden Grain wrap and rack tom in Tiger Eye (root beer) wrap.
Posted on 6 years ago

Tempo and Tempro were from my understanding not exactly the same. Tempro was pearl brand and to my knowledge only Pearl made. Tempo it seems was a badge made by all three makers. I can only surmise that Tempo was owned by a chain store and they went with whichever company could make the kits for a specific cost. There is still uncertainty with regard to MIJ drums, especially when you have a case like this where you can readily ID three different Tempo badges, as well as three vastly different hardware styles each lining up with a specific maker. Only thing I'd check on that kit is the bearing edges, some Hoshino's have been known to lack them.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 6 years ago

So that probably makes them early 70's ? From the looks of the hardware there is another tom mount so originally I guess a 5 piece but I like a 4 piece so no big deal to me. I haven't actually seen the drums yet, my friend lives far enough away that we are working on shipping them. I'll know more about the condition and edges when I see them and I'll post pics when they are cleaned up. the hardware looks OK so hopefully just a good cleaning. He just knows that I recently started playing drums so grabbed them for me. If Tempo was a chain store brand, you can sort of narrow it down to a chain that was operating here in Canada BUT I've seen with MIJ guitars where Saturn was an Eaton's Canada brand but some of them got sold in the US with the Saturn badge too. Or maybe Eaton's just got a big batch of Saturn guitars and some non Canadian, non chain stores got some too. Could be the same with the drums.

Posted on 6 years ago

Good friend indeed. Very nice find. Those will be fun to bring back to their former glory.

Mike

Posted on 6 years ago

That is a cool looking wrap! Have fun with those!

Here's a Tempo tom I've got and it has a different looking logo decal badge. This one sports the sticks as part of the T. Isn't the Tempro font similar?

[IMG]http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/picture.php?albumid=212&pictureid=1073[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/picture.php?albumid=212&pictureid=1072[/IMG]

Marathon - Lido Supreme - Majestic - Heit - Dia Deluxe
Posted on 6 years ago

Hello Sparkles

for a time, that particular badge was used for both Tempo and Tempro kits

same shape, size, color combination, and font including the crossed drum sticks on the "T"

the only difference was the spelling and in some cases the addition of the word "pro" they were a Pearl stencil during that period

The drums above were made after that time By non-Star Hoshino as Jay mentioned

I have not seen that particular wrap before and I love it

Great catch by a good pal there Glen

..reminds me of something my buddy Richm would do

Congrats and best of luck with them

Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here