Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

Vintage Sonor Tear-Drop damaged in shipment~Help

Hi all,

I purchased a gorgeous 1965 Sonor 3-ply Beech tear drop floor tom in the rare gold sparkle pin stripe wrap. Also in the shipment was a sonor snare stand which was placed (well wrapped) inside the shell for shipping.

Well, during a probably violent throw of the parcel by some shipper, the foot of the snare stand impacted the iside of the very thin Beech shell and punched the outer ply right through (see pics). The outer ply's damage is about 3/4" long and 1/2" wide.

Any thoughts on how to repair this? I don't want to send the drum back as it took over a year to find it! The damage is also on the section of the drum below the badge, so this section will be visible.

Please, help me rescue this nice piece of history!DOH

Cheers!

Kelly

3 attachments
"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing..."
Posted on 15 years ago

@#$%^&^$#^&*(()!!!!!

I know that's no help, but, #$%^&**(()*^$#$!!! anyway.....

Good luck Kelly, it'll work out!!

Group Hug

Kevin
Posted on 15 years ago

Hey Kevins,

That's as good advice as any so far...

I was thinking of putting a small wood block over the wrap surface and gently tapping the the ply back in place?? I don't know...like you said ^(%$(*|#^^$#@!^&*%electricit

~Kelly

Posted on 15 years ago

For the time and effort you put into finding the drum, you might want to consider more professional help than a block of wood. If done right, you would hardly notice the damage. Doesn't look too serious, other than the obvious frustration in the first place.

Check with Steve Maxwell (http://maxwelldrums.com) or ask locally. Good luck.

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="Blue"]Amosguy[/COLOR], thanks for the link to Steve Maxwell.

I measured the actual thickness of the beech shell at just 2 mm. No wonder it punched through so easily!!

~Kelly

Posted on 15 years ago

Dang it!!!! That really sux kelly

Was the shipping insured? Can you get a partial refund and keep the drum?

I would try to get something out of someone, then take it to a guitar maker or someone that has craftmanship, unless you want to do it. Im sure you could probably do as good as anyone can. I found a teardrop floor tom for my kit in canada craigslist and coaxed the guy into shipping it to me. Cost me about 250 by the time i got it here and it was pretty scratched up. I took it to my auto painter and had him buff it. it actually turned out pretty darn good. Sorry about your frustration buddy and good luck!

1960's SONOR 12-16-20-14 blue slate pearl
1968 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14Sky blue P
1972 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14BlueVistalite
1972 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-(14 impostor)BlackPanther "SOLD"
1964 Ludwig Oyster Black Pearl 22-12-13-16-14Supra "SOLD"
1969 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14 Citrus Mod "SOLD"
1969 LUDWIG Sexto-Plus 8-1 0-12-13-14-15-16-20-20-14 Silver Sparkle
60's Majestic Delux 12-13-16-22-14 red pearl
2009 Homemade Kids 8-10-13-16-12 Orange Sparkle
24 kits, 80 Snares, 65 Cymbals
Don't tell my wife!
Posted on 15 years ago

Happy to report that the drum came out OK. I used a large C-clamp. First i used a toot-pick to soak exposed wood with white wood glue, then clamped the raised damaged area as tightly as possible.

There is still a slightly raised blemish but not noticeable a foot away...so we're happy now! Kinda like a scar with stitches; after few years you can see everything's fine but you know you got cut...

~K

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here